Poll: Would you like to see higher base EXP bonus for larger parties?
Yes
No
I Dont Care
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Higher boosts for larger party sizes.
In the games current state, Duo's are by far the best way to play. Doesn't matter if you have 4 equally strong players, they will receive far more xp/h and gold/h if they split up into 2 duos.

I think that is conceptually flawed. Being an Online MMO style Idle game, IOU wants to promote people partying together and generally speaking for MMOs, the more the merrier... or at least, should be. As such, I think the base bonus we recieve for being partied (I believe its 40%) should actually be based on the size of the party (40% for 2, 60%? for 3, 80%? for 4). The numbers are just placeholders. But essentially, at the very least, a party of 4 should be as efficient (assuming no leechers) as a party of 2.

Net effect: More people in larger parties. More fun Smile

Please share your thoughts.

Note: This is all based on the current end game play. A good deal of testing has been done and found duos to be far superior to any other party size or solo play.
+1

The way it's currently setup our guild all splits into pairs. When we have an odd number of members, someone gets left out, joins a random or handicaps the XP/h of a pair of guildies.

I like the system of 4s for a few reasons.

1) Less likely to be left out
2) Promotes more players playing together
3) Less impact if a user goes offline
Interesting, I've been wondering about this myself ever since I saw the party formula.

Does anyone have real-world data (or math) on duo rates vs trio/quad (hunting at an appropriately higher level) assuming similar dps among all members?

Is it the lack of scaled bonuses after 300 that skews this in favor of duos? Or the spawn delay?

Regardless, this issue does need to be addressed. And putting a bonus for 3rd and 4th member seems like the easiest way to achieve that.
I don't have the math, but from what I've seen, the progression is duos > trios/solo > quads. I think it's a combination of the lack of scaled bonuses and the spawn delay both - the HP growth of mobs just flat outpaces the XP growth when you're in the larger parties, but especially quads. Trios are about on the same plane as solo with a decent party bonus, but they have the added benefit of dropping down to a duo if someone's connection drops.

I'd definitely love to see larger bonuses for larger parties to make it worth doing something other than a duo.
+1 love the idea :v
+40%/+60%/+80% party bonus for 2/3/4 players makes it 70%/53%/45% of mob base exp per player ; Assuming ideal even party member damage - then 4 player parties become the best. Problem I can see with it is now parties are hurt when anyone does a challenge in the group or d/c's momentarily.

Also, if we get into tweaking party bonuses - I might add a notion for penalizing party bonus if the max level difference between top/bottom levels of a party exceed 15 levels (or just penalize the exp for the lower level player).

+40% (2)/+60%(3+) at least allows for people to party up optimally if their goals are aligned, and not having to early cap groups because extra members in the party make it more difficult to level. Since the 4th party member slot is only unlocked in Inferno mode, not giving it a greater party bonus compared to 3+ is a bit less important than giving 3 person groups a better bonus.
+1 i agree i like this idea
Analog, on the topic of 'real world data/results /w ideal balanced teams', I've been in an 'even' group shortly after having a couple of friends join since I discovered the game.

Currently /w the party bonus as is, you go (100% exp x 1 kill spd) / (70% exp x 2 kill spd) / (46.6% exp x 3 kill spd)/(35%x 4 kill spd)* for (100%/120%/120%/120%*) , so numerically it doesn't look like any difference overall between 2/3 party groups, but you have to factor the 1 sec re-spawn time which means 2 person parties grind up slightly faster than 3 person parties.

The main advantage 3 person parties could have would be for grinding on stages normally not doable/too slow in 2 person parties, which is a narrow band.
~~
Ex: Assume each person's dps is 1k and time to kill monster is 10 secs, where a 3 person party can only kill is at monsters with a hp between 20,001 ~ 29,999.
If monster hp is (level^2 + 5), that means level 142 ~ 173 would be the 3 person party levels. The main level to grind there : Level 151 gives say (25491 | 17844 | 11879) for 1|2|3 person parties. Compare to highest 2-person only party: lvl 126 would give (16468 |11528|7674) for 1|2|3 person parties. (I ripped exp numbers from in-game, they may not be the most true for base, but both numbers had the same bonus exp multipliers)
3 Person party at lvl 151 would give 11879 exp / (7.60 sec + 1 sec) = 1381.27 exp/sec overall (per person)
2 Person party at lvl 126 would give 11528 exp / (7.94 sec + 1 sec) = 1289.48 exp/sec overall (per person)
2 Person party at lvl 101 would give 7048 exp / (5.10 sec + 1 sec) = 1155.40 exp/sec overall (per person)

Once each person hit 1141 dps each it becomes more beneficial for 2 person party at 151, since 176 isn't available until ascend.
ex: 1200 dps per person in party, 10 sec timer still.
3 Person party at lvl 151 would give 11879 exp / (6.33 sec + 1 sec) = 1620.60 exp/sec overall (per person)
2 Person party at lvl 151 would give 17844 exp / (9.5 sec + 1 sec) = 1699.42 exp/sec overall (per person)

When we remove the bonus exp tiers (ie: level 301+) we get equivalent to our second state than the first.
Will do a slight boost for the next patch.
(07-24-2015, 03:10 AM)Ray Wrote: Will do a slight boost for the next patch.

I'm glad to hear it, Ray, thanks! Are you also looking at a gold boost for parties? Since the patch a couple of days ago, inferno parties are getting awful gold, especially trios and quads. I'm getting about 1/8 the gold per level as I was pre-patch.