Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Offline Gains
Purpose
Less of a punishment for turning off your computer for both casual and competitive players, and to allow more frequent of maintenances for swifter updates and issue resolutions without the worry of affecting thousands of players online at the time.

Goal
To allow offline progression similar to other idle games, while rewarding those who are online with a slightly more effective rate

Issues
 -Any negative aspects of being offline make it impossible to go offline and play competitively
 -Diminished community due to a large portion of players going offline compared to before

Proposed Solutions
 -DPS is to be calculated by the server based on all upgrades for a -true- calculated average dps
 -Gold/XP gains to be based on party DPS. 
 -When a player goes offline, they ghost for <x> hours, meaning they deal a high percent close to what they would normally do online. 
 -Rested time becomes a post-maintenance currency as a bonus, instead of an offline reward
 -While offline, receive a high percentage of what you would have gained online of XP and Gold (but not cards)
 -DPS will no longer be calculated client-side which will improve the speed of the client by a small margin (or big for those calculating dps over a longer period)

Bonus Resolutions
** No more worrying about a player who is having troubles, or getting kicked after a maintenance while they are sleeping or at work
** No more worry about which zone, planet or tier some troll is bringing you to for gain loss
** No more worrying about turning your PC off at night for dust and spiders to invade 

Please discuss, and keep in mind 'something' definitely needs to be done here. This is an issue with IOU that i'm sure many of you are fine and comfortable with after this long, but it's an issue that needs to be rectified very soon. The costs of the servers for running so many connections/rooms needlessly, you have to imagine, is not overly efficient on my end either.

The ability to be able to run an emergency maintenance or scheduling a maintenance 30 mins from any given time for quick updates would be absolutely amazing if it didn't affect people nearly as poorly either. We have some pretty big issues even right now we need to update but we worry about kicking players off all the time and have to wait to fix / update things because of this.
I like it.
You can usually find me here!
I think that to make this work for parties the offline persons DPS needs to be 100% and they lose XP/Gold over time. Say 1-4 hours offline is 95% XP/Gold 4-8 hours is 90% XP/gold and so on and so forth. By keeping the DPS at 100% its incentive for parties to keep the offline person in group at no cost to online XP/Gold/Card gain while letting the person rest the computer for only a minor loss to start. After say 12 hours DPS would start to decrease at a rapid rate to keep from abusing.

It seems like you are on the right track just thought i would put in my 2 cents.
I feel the same as Slashed, if someone goes offline in a 4 person group and their dps is lower, but xp for the online members is still counted 4 ways then all this is doing is hurting the whole group.

Seems like the smart thing to do would be kick the offline person and then they just rejoin when they come online

I can understand making offline gains better, it's pretty much essential for a game like this, but why does it have to be at the detriment of online players
Andez - Click Heroes
That ghosting does need to happen and I also believe it should try to be around what they normally do to begin with, as just a few % loss of damage may be enough for some players to kick and find a player that on 24/7.

The main concern I have is how it calculated if say midway through, went from being in a party to later been kicked out of a party, would it smartly calculated that?

Overall this going in the right direction and keeping it so being online is still slightly better is a definite must.
imo make it so whoever goes offline gets 100% of their dps calculated into gold/xp, and treat them as offline. As I say I'm all for offline gains just not at online players' expense.

If someone is offline they are offline simple as that, not actively farming in a party. Party should be treated as if they are not there (because they aren't) and the player can get gains based on their stats alone.
Andez - Click Heroes
Must differentiate between someone who is offline for a few hours and someone who is offline for something like 20 hours. Sometimes my internet goes out when I'm not home and I lose a few hours of exp, so offline gains would be good to make up for that. I don't expect to get offline exp for being offline 10+ hours a day. It is an idle game, players are expected to be online around the clock. It comes with the genre. Offline gains should be a safety net for any type of temporary offline issues, but not long term. A few hours is fine but players shouldn't get full exp/gold gains for days on end just for being offline. I'm all about turning my PC off at night, it'd be a nice break. It would be entirely unfair for a person who is offline for 2 days to get the same exp and gold as a person who has the game up for the same amount of time. A few hours of full rewards per day is fine but at some point it needs to drop substantially to avoid people from up and turning the game off for days on end and still keep up with those who actively play.
Poems > Insane: "I need a party with similar dps"
Insane > Guild: "He's rudely demanding to be carried by 30m dps people, kick him now"
Guild > Poems: "We have proof you were rudely demanding to be carried"
Poems > Everyone: "Show a screenshot of it"
Everyone > Poems: "We can't, but his word is enough for us"

I agree with all that has been said, I really like this:

(03-08-2016, 05:14 AM)Slashed Wrote: I think that to make this work for parties the offline persons DPS needs to be 100% and they lose XP/Gold over time. Say 1-4 hours offline is 95% XP/Gold 4-8 hours is 90% XP/gold and so on and so forth. By keeping the DPS at 100% its incentive for parties to keep the offline person in group at no cost to online XP/Gold/Card gain while letting the person rest the computer for only a minor loss to start. After say 12 hours DPS would start to decrease at a rapid rate to keep from abusing.

It seems like you are on the right track just thought i would put in my 2 cents.

But I have just one issue with this, is if there is a weather/earth phenomenon that knocks out your city's power, or destroys your city you would be offline for days/weeks. So the % of offline gains should not reach 0 maybe stop it at 25% after 2-3 days offline, so the people who are offline due to a reason out of their own control that they are still able to get something out of it, even if they get kicked from their party, and if they are offline because they died they wont be overly upset about it.
IGN: Mythic       Guild: Chaos
atm current rested time is better than new proposition for ppl who would go offline for 10 hours because you can run abilities and get more xp with it than during "ghost" mode also new offline gain wont drop cards so anyway refresh bot or sharing account still wins for ppl who wants to progress
There are two elephants in the room that haven't been mentioned yet. Sorry in advance if this causes drama.

1) Cash players. These people keep the lights on. I don't know how this change would affect them if at all, but they need to be considered when making any change. If the change were 70% rewards for being offline or 100% for 1AP/hour, that might work for them -- dunno. A focus group of cash players would be a good idea in any case.

2) Autoclickers. Some percentage of the people run autoclickers which would not be affected by this change. Notwithstanding elephant one, 100% offline rewards would not be unreasonable. Online with an autoclicker would still be at an advantage.

Another item to consider is alts. With a high offline return, an individual could have an offline guild with 20 members in five groups, and could have them all advance at a reasonable pace. I don't know that this is a bad thing, but it is worth noting.