Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holiday Event Timing
(10-14-2015, 03:10 PM)Mythic Wrote: I don't see Christmas being an event more likely that it would be a Winter Solstice seeing that is a holiday that everyone understands no mater the religion.
The problem with having a religious holiday in a game is that you start to push away people who one don't like that religious holiday or people do not know of it or understand it.
Isn't halloween also a religious (Christian) holiday?
I'm room 7's vanderbuzzard on kong if you wish to find me.
(10-15-2015, 01:46 AM)vulderbeak Wrote:
(10-14-2015, 03:10 PM)Mythic Wrote: I don't see Christmas being an event more likely that it would be a Winter Solstice seeing that is a holiday that everyone understands no mater the religion.
The problem with having a religious holiday in a game is that you start to push away people who one don't like that religious holiday or people do not know of it or understand it.

To true, not an original Christian holiday tho. Although primarily use to be Christian it is now more of a anyone can do it holiday, where as Christmas is still a vary hot topic for most other religions.
IGN: Mythic       Guild: Chaos
(10-15-2015, 02:55 AM)Mythic Wrote:
(10-15-2015, 01:46 AM)vulderbeak Wrote:

To true, not an original Christian holiday tho. Although primarily use to be Christian it is now more of a anyone can do it holiday, where as Christmas is still a vary hot topic for most other religions.

Christmas isn't even a Christian holiday. It's a pagan holiday. Just happened that while Christianity was still fairly new they moved the celebration of Christ's birthday to the same date in order to avoid persecution. The funny thing is I guess they didn't keep very good records cause nobody is sure exactly when Christ was born now, just that it was probably sometime in spring/summer lol. Anyway Christmas isn't really that religious anymore, not like it's Easter or something. And considering there was an Easter event I think we will probably have a Christmas event. 

If we really wanted to get all technical basically all holidays have some root in religion. Surprisingly I think the worst is probably Valentine's day, which was started as a celebration of St. Valentine lol. You won't be able to find a holiday without religious roots, and even if you just call it winter solstice that still has religious roots in paganism. Anyway now this conversation is totally off topic. I blame Bob.
(10-15-2015, 10:51 AM)Aaron Storm Wrote: You won't be able to find a holiday without religious roots
What about International Friendship Day?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendship_Day
(10-15-2015, 11:17 AM)vulderbeak Wrote:
(10-15-2015, 10:51 AM)Aaron Storm Wrote: You won't be able to find a holiday without religious roots
What about International Friendship Day?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendship_Day

Considering it's been around for less than a century, was basically created by Hallmark, and doesn't even have an official day it's celebrated on? I think I'd put it somewhere between National Pie day and Cinco de mayo. Yes Cinco de Mayo is a big holiday, but only in part of the world.

Today is apparently White Cane safety day. Not sure I really consider that a holiday though.
(10-15-2015, 07:29 PM)Aaron Storm Wrote: Considering it's been around for less than a century, was basically created by Hallmark, and doesn't even have an official day it's celebrated on? I think I'd put it somewhere between National Pie day and Cinco de mayo. Yes Cinco de Mayo is a big holiday, but only in part of the world.

Today is apparently White Cane safety day. Not sure I really consider that a holiday though.

"General Assembly of the United Nations decided to designate 30 July as the International Day of Friendship"
Doesn't get more official then that when it comes to international holidays.

If we are concerned about holidays being too rooted in some religious tradition or too closely associated with one nationality, why don't we just start inventing our own?

We could call our harvest festival IdleBounty, for example and we could celebrate all the free stuff we got from codes with like an extra long 222 digit code or something.
(10-16-2015, 12:59 AM)vulderbeak Wrote:
(10-15-2015, 07:29 PM)Aaron Storm Wrote: Considering it's been around for less than a century, was basically created by Hallmark, and doesn't even have an official day it's celebrated on? I think I'd put it somewhere between National Pie day and Cinco de mayo. Yes Cinco de Mayo is a big holiday, but only in part of the world.

"General Assembly of the United Nations decided to designate 30 July as the International Day of Friendship"
Doesn't get more official then that when it comes to international holidays.

If we are concerned about holidays being too rooted in some religious tradition or too closely associated with one nationality, why don't we just start inventing our own?

We could call our harvest festival IdleBounty, for example and we could celebrate all the free stuff we got from codes with like an extra long 222 digit code or something.

Smile inventing our own for in game event's is a lot better then going with things in real life, and seeing most places around the world have a holiday at lest once a month, can always make some events bigger for holidays that are big in real life.
IGN: Mythic       Guild: Chaos
Definitely better to just make random game events that aren't exactly (or always) based off of holidays.
You can usually find me here!
I get the feeling people are a little too obsessed with being politically correct recently. From a business perspective there are a lot of good reasons to go ahead and associate your event with an actual holiday. On a personal note I'm way more excited about a Halloween event than a Friendship day or Idlebounty day, even if the event was the exact same, it's a psychological thing.

You have to remember that IOU is a business. Since there are reasons to base events off real holidays and there are few if any reasons not to, besides for the random one in a thousand people that gets upset about Christmas, I'm pretty sure it's going to be based off of real holidays. Considering in the past many of the events have been based off of things such as Easter I'd say it's a safe bet it will continue.
(10-16-2015, 09:49 AM)Aaron Storm Wrote: I get the feeling people are a little too obsessed with being politically correct recently. From a business perspective there are a lot of good reasons to go ahead and associate your event with an actual holiday. On a personal note I'm way more excited about a Halloween event than a Friendship day or Idlebounty day, even if the event was the exact same, it's a psychological thing.

You have to remember that IOU is a business. Since there are reasons to base events off real holidays and there are few if any reasons not to, besides for the random one in a thousand people that gets upset about Christmas, I'm pretty sure it's going to be based off of real holidays. Considering in the past many of the events have been based off of things such as Easter I'd say it's a safe bet it will continue.

Well of course people are looking forward to the Halloween event, as am I. I never did say to not base them off of holidays, I'm just saying certain ones (like Friendship Day or Idlebounty day)....because not everyone knows/cares about them. 

What was the Clean Energy Event based off of? (If it was based off of a major holiday, I'd like to know which one) I thought that was a great event, as was the most recent event (Alien Invasion)...which also wasn't based off of a holiday.

Doesn't matter what event, as long as it doesn't suck. I doubt a many people will care either way.

Edit: Also, many are just looking forward to those event packs :|
You can usually find me here!