Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regarding Referals
So just read the new dev blog and I must say it made me relax regarding the future of the game to some extend.

Only 1 thing that made me sad when Ray mentioned referals. As a gamer I usually make it a point to avoid games that rewards people for referals like the plague.
I will refer people to the game if I feel liek they would enjoy it and because I like the game.

As soon as people start being rewarded for it they have a tendency to spam their refer links in every gaming forum imaginable. Resulting in some new players yes but alot more being annoyed by it and by association the game.

Ray my opinion is that it is a system you should avoid using especially on fb. decent short term gains but overall it will make your game just another annoying spammer.

Feel free to disagree discuss etc below Smile
I agree, refferals are for games who are kinda shitty and need that way to get players to come in.

In my experience i connect the idea of referals to cheap cashgrabby mmo/mobile games. Plz plz plz ray, dont make this a cheap cashgrabby mmo/mobile game Sad(
and as zak said, long term this will make your game more annoying rather than being liked. Its a great strategy if you want to cash out on a dying game, not so much if you want to grow a game and its community.

I am thinking of quiting the game lately and this dev blog kinda made me rethink some bits, i still have hope. I just hope the game can become good again, otherwise i wasted money and that makes me a sad panda Sad
(09-24-2015, 06:48 AM)Zakariaz Wrote: So just read the new dev blog and I must say it made me relax regarding the future of the game to some extend.

Only 1 thing that made me sad when Ray mentioned referals. As a gamer I usually make it a point to avoid games that rewards people for referals like the plague.
I will refer people to the game if I feel liek they would enjoy it and because I like the game.

As soon as people start being rewarded for it they have a tendency to spam their refer links in every gaming forum imaginable. Resulting in some new players yes but alot more being annoyed by it and by association the game.

Ray my opinion is that it is a system you should avoid using especially on fb. decent short term gains but overall it will make your game just another annoying spammer.

Feel free to disagree discuss etc below Smile

Big Grin  I do the same with referral games, I tend to avoid them. Sometimes I check them out, but every game I went to because someone referred me, I only have ever played at most one month(not in total time just an hour or 2 a day for a month).
The lest I have played a game like that an hour.

There are some games with referrals that don't give you any real bonus, just an example: some gold or other common things you get in game everyday.

As long as the bonus you get from referring someone to the game isn't big (makes me feel like I have to start bugging my friends to get them to play, so I can stay competitive), I'm okay with it.
I have already told many people about IOU, are they playing I don't know but I did so on my own and without reward.

I'm not for or against referrals, but if they get big rewards then I well be against such a system.
IGN: Mythic       Guild: Chaos
I am fine with 'referral events' that have some form of gain for trying to boost up the population of a game within a limited time frame. Say only for the month of October each referral you do you get X and each 10 gets you Y.

I tend to not like permanent referral bonus systems because I feel if the game is good, it naturally will spread/get referred. But on the other hand I do understand that Ray's trying to push popularity of his game up to I feel the level of like Adventure Capitalist, and having a referral event/campaign would be a possible manner in going towards that goal.

I don't feel that Ray's being all p2w currently, but there have been a concerning number of people who have invested into the game and, i feel, are trying to cash in on their 'support' by having very notable royalty status within the game. My hope is Ray keeps a ton of his original views for how the game expands with the new game modes, as they were all very refreshing ideas.
In general I'm against referrals for the same reasons of it just becoming a huge spam contest. But I do like the refer a friend and both get bonuses type of thing when it's limited to just a few people. For instance once a month you get a code, give it to a friend then it links you and them. They get something free for starting, and then after they hit certain levels you get free stuff also. Key is it's just a person or two that you are focusing on, not just spamming the entire world.
Also, against referral.
---Retired---
I'm OK I guess with referrals, though I wouldn't participate.. I agree that referral games often mean medicore games.

That said, as long as the referral prize is just something you can get anyway (diamonds, say), it's no big deal.
One technique that I have seen work to a limited extent involves making a well designed forum signature that people can tack onto their posts when they interact elsewhere on the web. A brief character summary level/points/rank etc. with a link that takes someone to the signup page tends to come across a little less sleazy than a direct advertising link.
While it can be done in a better way and such and can be lowered the fact for me remains that it gives the game a bad rep all over the web. Which is something that should be avoided at all costs. Already I have talked with other idle game players that refuse to touch it due to the nature of p2w aspects in the game.

Im not against supporting games and I have also supported this one but using both unlimited cashing and referals is for alot of people = wont even touch it. Myself included
IGN: Zakariaz                   Proud leader of Revenants. Admitted leader of STEW
(09-24-2015, 05:58 PM)Zakariaz Wrote: While it can be done in a better way and such and can be lowered the fact for me remains that it gives the game a bad rep all over the web. Which is something that should be avoided at all costs. Already I have talked with other idle game players that refuse to touch it due to the nature of p2w aspects in the game.

Im not against supporting games and I have also supported this one but using both unlimited cashing and referals is for alot of people = wont even touch it. Myself included

I agree 100% with Zakariaz here. Don't get me wrong, I've dumped a decent bit into IOU, but the more it becomes p2w the less I feel interested in dumping more in. Referral spam gives horrible press for games, and this game deserves FAR better. Just the two cents of an avid player, take it with a grain of salt.
EdenTier0 | Level: 200 | IOU Score: 17,862 | Cards: 48,586 | Event Points: 540 | Forest 24 | Mine 103
Days Played: 516 | Guild Upgrades: 25 Dmg/8 Pet/10 XP/30 Gold | 4* Dmg/Wood/Stone/Gold Orbs
Total Gold: 346b | Total XP: 188b | Support Level: 8 | Lifetime Kills: 26.4m

Shoutout to my guildies in Love!