Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Card chance based on count not random
Hi,

It would be pretty awesome if the card drops were based on #kills of that (or just of any) monster instead of random.

Due to how random really works, situations arise where one person might have received 50 drops of a monster while the other might have received only 5. 

This isn't really fair to be honest and if possible, having a counter so that everyone progresses as fast I believe would provide a more enjoyable game experience. 

Thanks for creating an awesome game, and thanks for reading Smile

Cheers,
Simpe
There's unfortunately more to such a simple seemingly good idea. If it's based on count, what happens when you change the zone? If it's every 500 on the dot, you kill 499 on zone 1, then jump to the last planet for the next kill for the drop.

Penalize zone switching? Now we have angry members with pitchforks because you just reset or diminished the counter.
The beauty of random is that it evens out when the numbers get larger. I've killed over a million monsters, and when numbers get that big it works out.

And on a side note. Random is much more fun.
(08-11-2015, 05:00 AM)Ray Wrote: There's unfortunately more to such a simple seemingly good idea. If it's based on count, what happens when you change the zone? If it's every 500 on the dot, you kill 499 on zone 1, then jump to the last planet for the next kill for the drop.

Penalize zone switching? Now we have angry members with pitchforks because you just reset or diminished the counter.

Well i think the obvious answer there is to have the count individual to each zone.
...and individual count to each inferno difficulty, imagine seeing counter 499, then you switch to ridiculously high inferno difficulty to get possibly better card drop.

Now we count... there are 170 zones, 1000 inferno difficulty levels... that's 170000 counters per player.

Integer fitting the range 0-500 (best case scenario in inferno levels) must use 9 bits. Databases write data in whole bytes (8 bits). So we have to use 2 bytes per counter (smallint).

2 bytes per counter * 170000 counters per player = 340000 bytes per player.

It doesn't seem like a lot at a first glance, but it's a lot of wasted space when we count in the growing number of players. 3K players is about a gigabyte of data containing counters for each zone and inferno level. That is totally dumb.

Let's stick with random chance.
Or what could be done is a psuedo-rng. The default rates are fine as they are but each kill adds the base % to an over all % that gets reset on card drop. And an even more obvious answer to the 499/500 kills is simply to have the card drop chance apply to all zones. I guess the problem would be people killing weaker monsters to pump the chance up and then swapping to a harder monster. Guess the answer could be to reset it but at least with Psuedo-RNG it hurts a lot less than the 499/500. Or I guess you could just put the counter on screen. I've noticed that there is a decent amount of room left on it. Maybe even in the same line as the "Cards collected"