Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DPS not accurate (useably) reading..
Information 
IMO the DPS add-on is a great idea, but poorly executed. It updates too frequently-- and pretty much just shows the average of the last hit or 2...even in parties of 3 for example.

To get a more USEABLE dps reading, it should update less frequently (maybe every 20 seconds or so, I dunno) and take the average of dmg across that time. Having it update every second really gives little advantage over just looking at the dmg numbers. =\

EDIT: Also..is it just averaging your personal dmg and not entire party (seems that way)? IF so, it need to be entire party imo; or atleast a seperate window for that.
I think the DPS add-on should never change. Calculated on damage, crit, double attack, attack speed and %dmg crit. We will have 1 for Auto Dps and other for click dps, it's more easy.
~~Proud Member of Eden Regenesis~~
i think DPS is good it give us a range of damage which we can do so we can calculate the min and max damage which we can do in a period of time :v, clearly it help us make good choice which zone we should farm and which challenge we can do
What would be ideal is a rolling average over the last 30-45 minutes.
Agreed. Would be nice you could RESET the meter, and if the dps meter just took your average dps over x amount of time until you reset it. If I waited to reset it after a day, then the dps should be the average over that full day. If I entered a challenge and wanted to see my dps throughout the challenge, I'd reset the meter at the start of the challenge, so I could see where I stand by the end of it.

Good start though!
i disagreed the longer u wait the less accurate it calculate
Ex: if u wait a day how many x2 crit ur attack does , the number will be enormous even if it an hour the number still to great so the current system may be make u feel hazy but it better if u watch it closely for <5mins
The DPS meter is a nice addition, but as many said, it could be so much better.
In my mind, the optimal solution is to make it customizable. Give people the chance to select how long their DPS is calculated over.

5 seconds is not nearly enough, and I would personally prefer mine to be about 60 minutes which would give a far more accurate number. That way you could actually use it to see what ability specc is best, and how much damage increases/decreases when you change things.

If an hour is unrealistic, then at least a minute or something?
@ WhiteK -  That's not correct.   a longer period of time averaged out would give you a much better number, BECAUSE you'd have lots of times when you hit crits and doubles... the longer a period you use, the closer to the %s your skills are at you'll get, thus giving a more accurate number.

I'd be fine with it just keeping the average until we reset it, too... that seems like it'd probably be easier to program than a rolling average.
Well it may be true for u but for me 5s is better reading than 1 hour+ for example u get lucky and and in that hour u crit + x2 for 50-60% all the time and the next hour ur crit chance and x2 proc like 10-20% + the damage u deal in that period of time + pet do too = massive range of miscalculate, so the bigger the range of min and max the worse accurate it get, the 5s dps however give u a better read, me for example my min DPS is 6-7k and my max is 13-15k which give me a small number of miscalculate range so i can do calculate the damage i can do in challenge base on a 5s dps
70s challenge:
6-7k_13-15k = 420-490k_910-1050k pure base auto so if u want more accurate number u have to ad click + skill so i say the current dps system work fine, for anyone want more infor do some math and dont cry for Ray to list all the DPS in the game for u, ya lazy :v
(07-07-2015, 02:29 AM)WhiteK Wrote: Well it may be true for u but for me 5s is better reading than 1 hour+ for example u get lucky and and in that hour u crit + x2 for 50-60% all the time and the next hour ur crit chance and x2 proc like 10-20% + the damage u deal in that period of time + pet do too = massive range of miscalculate, so the bigger the range of min and max the worse accurate it get, the 5s dps however give u a better read, me for example my min DPS is 6-7k and my max is 13-15k which give me a small number of miscalculate range so i can do calculate the damage i can do in challenge base on a 5s dps
70s challenge:
6-7k_13-15k = 420-490k_910-1050k pure base auto so if u want more accurate number u have to ad click + skill so i say the current dps system work fine, for anyone want more infor do some math and dont cry for Ray to list all the DPS in the game for u, ya lazy :v

I'm sorry, but you are just plain wrong. By your logic, the best option is to only know your minimum and maximum damage.

I'm not even going to go into the math, just comment that your numbers are so innacurate that they in my opinion hardly have any use. In addition, I have a much larger variance in my 5 second dps' than you have, making it even less useful and making me distrust your numbers. (Just by watching for a minute now, I've seen 35k and 212k. 212kis more than 6 times as large as 35k! With abilities in challenges earlier, I've had 1,1 million dps).

Neither of these numbers give me a good idea of how much I do on average though, which by the best calculations available is around 74k. (74.348,96 to be exact)
If the DPS calculations considered a longer timespan, both 35k and 212k would be extremely rare, and they would usually be closer to my actual average of (an assumed) 74k. The longer the time, the closer to average.

Now what you prefer is another matter, but short timespan is innacurate, long is more accurate. And that's just a fact.