Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The problem with Pets
With the upcoming pet patch and more pet tiers being available, there is an issue where pets at their current rate of growth will simply outpace overall character (auto) damage, and that can become an issue for future content as unless it affects pet damage it will simply be seen as less valuable by comparison.

To help mitigate this issue, one idea I've come up with is a new method of pet improvement, locked behind pet tiers for individual boosts, but points to spend in said boosts would be issued daily, perhaps using the still unknown upcoming new building.

Let's say for example, that Pets tier 1 - 3 have access to the Basic Pet Boosts.  These boosts could include:

Auto Damage
Click Damage
Boss Damage
Treasure Damage
Auto Crit Damage
Gold Coin Chance

Tiers 4 through 7 could include:

Card Drop Chance
Auto Multi Hit Chance
Auto Crit Chance
Gold Log Boost
Stone Boost

Tiers 8 through 12 could include:

Card Damage
Ascension Conversion (spend points here to get additional ascension points)
Legendary Conversion (same but for legend points)

Tiers 13 to 18 could include:

Gold Boost
Experience Boost
Pet Training Boost

Tiers 19+ could include:

Challenge Damage
Click Crit Chance
Click Multi Chance

Each group of boosts would be its own Tier-locked Currency, which could be on a screen within the pet window as its own button, and then several tabs along the top with icons represented by the pet which has the matching tier needed to unlock that set of upgrades.  So for example, the Tier 1 - 3 tab would be represented by the Snake, the Tier 4 - 7 tab would be represented by the Virus, and so on.

As soon as either one of your pets reaches a specific Tier, you unlock those boosts.  However, you will only receive daily currency to spend on those boosts based on each pet's Tier.  So if you have one Tier 13 Pet and one Tier 1 Pet, you will only get 50% of the daily currency for all the boosts past the Tier 1 - 3 tab since only one of your two pets actually qualifies for those boost Tiers.

As far as costs and such, that's up for discussion if we get that far, and of course where each upgrade unlocks is also up for debate.  I front-loaded the better boosts because the idea is not to punish newer players but rather give a nice variety of optional upgrades without feeling pressured into focusing purely on one type over another.

And of course, to balance all these new upgrades, I would suggest cutting the DPS portion of pets down to perhaps only 0.05% auto DPS per level, and 1% per Tier, starting at 5% with a level 1 Snake.  This would mean a level 10 Tier 15 Roc (the current highest level pet available) would have 5% + (15 x 10 x 0.05) + 14% which ends up at 26.50% of Auto compared to 60.50% which is what it is currently.  This means the bulk of the pet's damage will instead come from the boosts it provides instead, and you will suddenly be hitting much harder than your pets for the most part.  This may be a little confusing or disheartening, but the reason it's important to do this sooner rather than later is that by having Pets' DPS inflate so much with more Tiers, you run the risk of Pet Damage outclassing every other source of DPS.  So I say rather than completely remove it, we bring it back to a more sane level while also having it boost overall character growth.

As always, all numbers are purely for example and not set in stone, balancing is to be discussed should this idea make it past the "we hates it" phase or not.  Thanks for reading!
Sounds good to me.