Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Short Story Community Competition!
IGN: Bolts
Genre: Lore

The Universe Chronicles

“When time began we fought alone, we fought rats and snakes and bats and believed ourselves rich from the loot we scavenged from their decaying remains. As we progressed we began to see the value of banding together, loose coalitions began to form and soon anyone with the resources to spare, and the time to commit, began to build shelters to gather together fellow warriors and reward them with meagre offerings of extra stone and wood.

These ragtag groups began to see the value in fighting side by side, and as each warrior stood up to the mano a mano challenges posed by tribesmen, were-creatures and cavemen so we also came together in pairs and groups to reap the benefits of battling these fiends together. In such circumstances allegiances were formed and champions rose from the crowds, willing to display their strength for the advancement of lesser mortals.

As these champions returned to the guild halls of their brothers and sisters-in-combat they brought with them great wealth and honour and were able to help construct new buildings and improve the existing ones, to such a degree that all of us that called their dwelling home saw great benefit.

These were prosperous times and we were all able to share in the riches of combat with a seemingly never-ending slew of opportunities to test our mettle as more and more exotic creatures were lined up to face us in battle. (There cannot be a single one of us, for example, who cannot remember the first time they fought the dreaded ‘French Fryer’ and won, even if winning did bring with it a certain feeling of hunger - for more than just the death of an enemy).

Along with personal glory and triumph came the reflected glory of raising our pets to also become legendary fighters. As their victories mounted the need for greater space became apparent, as our once pocket sized companions grew to the size of trees in no time at all! The stages of evolution of these genetically modified animals may be baffling to some, but surely no one can deny the joy in seeing a clockwork beast transforming into a snarling dinosaur right before your very eyes! Although I think most would agree that the transformation from screaming giant ent to some relative of the e-coli virus is a little… disappointing.

With the passing of the years we have learned new skills and conquered new worlds and technologies. Our constant need for resources has driven our battles into deep space and led us to fighting alien races as yet unknown, the only thing we do know is that their ships seem to grow in strength with every one we destroy. The spoils of each fight are worthy prizes indeed, as well as our much coveted emeralds come rare minerals seemingly used only to further our intergalactic arms race.

Closer to home we pass the time dipping our toes in the water or idling on boats in order to catch fish worth telling stories about. The fish themselves come in a startlingly bizarre array of varieties, there has even been talk around the guild fires that occasionally one or two in a catch are made of sentient…excrement – but this is most likely a story born of too much alcohol and one-upmanship!

By and large now our days are filled with habit and ritual with only the constant sounds of mining and wood cutting to break the silence. Our quest for stone continues unabated, truly you’d think we must be nearly through to the planet’s core by now, but this seemingly never-ending underground water source continues to baffle our attempts to dig straight through to the other side.”

---

A voice I had grown to love over the years suddenly broke my concentration and I looked up from my magnum opus, pen still hovering over the Satyr-hide paper.

“Are you *still* writing that dumb history book?”, enquired my snout-nosed, curly tailed friend.

“Yes, I am actually, the records must be kept – generations to come must understand our struggles and our triumphs! They should know what came before, lest they make the same mistakes again”

“Lest?!” My friend shook her head sadly (perhaps I have spent too long with my head in this book), “Put the pen down and come do something useful, your challenge ship has sat idle for too long, come and optimize it and get it back out there ASAP. And before you ask – yes I’ll help. Again!”

Why do we fight on? Why do we continue with the daily routine? Why do we give so much of ourselves for the cause? Is it for honour? For wealth? To bring peace to this universe at last? No, nothing so noble. What we do, we do it for the chaos.

Messages In This Thread
Short Story Community Competition! - Level - 02-02-2018, 03:54 PM
IGN: vexatyk - vexatyk - 02-06-2018, 04:16 PM
RE: Short Story Community Competition! - Boltsy - 02-24-2018, 10:23 AM