Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Short Story Community Competition!
IGN: GameInSky
Word Count: 998 without "The End"
Genre: Fantasy

Lancrife, a reasonably small kingdom in the lands of IOURPG, is ruled by king Yermo the first.
His subjects were very loyal, but the kingdom lacked prosperity.
King Yermo was in his thinking room, he wants the best for his people, but for that, his ways need to change. He has to make a risk. He grabs a rope hanging next to him and pulls it down.
Footsteps can be heard sternly approaching towards his room. Opening the door, a sturdy and very well dressed man.
“Ah, Don Eric Tric, quick to respond as always” Said Yermo. Eric nods.  Yermo continued: “As you know, things could be going better, but I think I have figured out something.” Yermo opens his drawer and takes out of it: a piece of paper. It’s a map of the nearby area.
He points his finger at the forest located on the east. “In this forest, rumours has that a mad wizard, known only as ‘Ray’, has turned a random selection of monsters into gigantic mimics. But recently one of my subjects has said to have seen one of them. He was too scared to come close. But if this is true, then we could fill our coffers with this.” Eric nods again, he understood perfectly what was going to follow up.
“I can bring with me 38 of my finest men in an effort to locate and slay one of these beasts.” He responded.” Yemro looked a bit worried but then clamped his fist. “I can only pray that your venture will end well.”

The next day already Eric, with the help from his commander, Al Linok prepared for the hunt. As they marched out of the gates they were cheered on by the populace. They set camp not too far away from where the mimic was sighted. Despite the danger, the mood was pretty cosy. They were about to go to sleep, but the ground started trembling. “Do you hear that!?” said someone. The trembling became stronger. Al commanded: “I believe we found what we were looking for, everyone grab a weapon, before it finds us! But keep it down, we do not want it to know we’re here.”
Everyone ran to grab a weapon as quickly as possible, some even started climbing trees to better assault the monster. The trembling became louder, and with each shockwave a loud thud could be heard. Everyone anxiously awaited the beast. The thuds grew louder, some people started to have trouble keeping grip on the tree branches they were sitting on.
There it was, a big mix of wood and metallic framing, the size of several adult horses. It slowly hopped its way into the encampment. Everyone started signing each other and nodding. One of the men decided to bite the bullet and jump straight for the thing and pierced his sword through the wood. The beast let out an agonising scream, more people started to rush into to kill it. The hopping became more random as more people started stabbing and striking it with whatever weapons they had. This is the first time such a thing was seen so nobody really knew how you kill it. Nevertheless, everyone kept at it.
The mimic tried to shake of people by jumping around erratically, occasionally doing a big jump to squish someone under it sheer, monstrous weight. Fortunately everyone was able to get up or roll away before that could happen. By sheer luck, someone was able to cut out one of the hinges. The mimic visibly became weaker. “Aim for the hinges!” said Al, who had taken notice. Despite this now clear goal, it was still quite difficult to strike the hinges, as the mimic was still trying to shake off everyone. Every time someone managed to cut off a hinge, the mimic became more docile. The last hinge was really easy to cut off compared to the others. The beast let out one final weak groan before collapsing to the floor. Everyone was tired. Miraculously, at worst, people were merely wounded. It took a few dozen seconds for people to regain their breath.

“Did you hear how loud that thing was? It was full of gold, that was all the weight of gold!” muttered someone. After 5 seconds of silence, someone began to cheer, and soon enough the whole group was cheering. With this, their kingdom could prosper again! However, it was getting late and everyone was tired from the battle. They decided to let the mimic be until tomorrow and to return to Lancrife then.

The next day Don was abruptly woken up by some of his men. Confused he look up to them only to hear: “Al has disappeared! And the mimic has clearly less gold than it had yesterday!” Don immediately stood up and went to check the mimic. He immediately knew what had happened. He turned back around and looked at his men, now clearly less cheerful than yesterday. “There is still a lot in the mimic left, I will inform our king, but for now we should transport the spoils to Lancrife, we’ll see what to do once we’re there” he said. The mood was a bit lightened, but this will keep haunting them. This changed when they arrived at the gates were the populace cheered them on again for the spoils of war.
Don walked straight to Yermo and asked him to speak in private, where he would explain what happened.
“He must have taken some of the gold and fled to the wealthier kingdom of Chock Sereli… I actually had a gut feeling this would happen. He may have taken some of the gold, but I’m willing to pay that price to not have people like him amongst my ranks. We have always been able to survive with less. I’m optimistic things will go better, despite this.”
Don nodded, they decided to not have this event demoralise them and went to discuss what to do next.

The End

Messages In This Thread
Short Story Community Competition! - Level - 02-02-2018, 03:54 PM
IGN: vexatyk - vexatyk - 02-06-2018, 04:16 PM
RE: Short Story Community Competition! - GameInSky - 02-18-2018, 12:53 AM