Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Short Story Community Competition!
IGN: porkbob
Wordcount: 993 (wordcounter.net)

The Prize

The ship bobbed and shuddered as it began atmospheric entry. I leveled my gaze to my monitor to double-check the readings. Mirth began rooting within me as I confirmed they were good.

Long had I heard tales of hidden wealth in the bowels of Planet Lambda, and long had I awaited the day I could chart a course here. If anyone could sniff out that treasure, it was I, Binaur. And I knew it. The legends had been relegated as myth to common folk. But I was too smart for that.

The ship landed and taxied to a hangar. Then my scruffy form emerged. I was squat and round, with splotchy skin that varied from faded teal to dull cobalt to rough granite. My nose jutted, curling and hooked, and I possessed a small, useless set of wings.

I also possessed a sober expression of determination as I combed the streets, scanning for what could yield some sort of direction. After a few hours of treading public areas, finally I spotted something.

Alone, smoking against a building, was a slender orange creature. But it was not their appearance which seized my interest; it was the wardrobe. What might look to most like an unassuming dull brown trenchcoat, actually had a significant tell in the shape of its lapels. This was a man who dealt in the underground informations trade! Binaur had scored!

I approached and inquisited, taking care to drop some discrete terms recognizable to those in the underground. The creature became cross as it focused onto me. "The Lab," it sneered in a garish accent, then flicking away its cigarette and haughtily marching off.

Wasting little time, I tapped into local directories to zero in on this Lab. After some difficulty, I managed a pretty good idea. Not soon afterward my stumpy little legs were carrying me as eagerly as they could.

Forty minutes later I found myself out of breath, staring at a sign. "Lab". This seemed it, but was just a street vendor. Undeterred, I called out over the counter. I stood on my toes, but was still unable to peer over.

Abruptly, a burly dark-skinned fellow rose from behind the stand, looming well above, along with his parrot. It was the most ugly parrot I had ever seen. Dark red body, with splotchy white chest and head. A sickeningly-bright green tip to the mangled and splayed feathers of its wings and tail, matched (or it should be said "mismatched") by a similarly-colored toothy beak.

The shopkeep must've caught my gaze. "Yeah, he's an old guy. But what can I say? Don't have any way to get rid of 'im." The bird halfheartedly paced the man's shoulder.

After a moment of acknowledgement, I inquired about the "wares". The man pushed a button and a piston underneath me lifted me up. The anxiousness brewing within suddenly gave way, as my gut dropped. Beyond were several rows of fishing equipment. Fishing gear? At the "Lab"?!

I protested and dropped more discrete underground terminology. The man re-pressed his button, returning me to floor level. "I think you're after some other Lab," he uttered before again disappearing.

Frustrated and tired, I trudged off and checked into a nearby Guild Lodge for rest. Fortunately, recent inflation hadn't reached this sector so the gold fee was very cheap—less than one-thousandth of my per-second income.

After days of exhaustive research, I finally uncovered something. Long ago, in the far outskirts of the metropolis was another Lab, once-frequented. Nobody had any reason to go there now, so it and its purpose fell into mystery. The pieces seemed to be coming into place. I knew what I had to do. Binaur would crack this timeworn tale!

I boarded my ship and streaked to the outreaches. I came upon what seemed to be the ancient site in a desolate area, surrounded by crumbling buildings. After precipitous searching for a means of penetration to the interior, I ultimately powered up my ship and blasted a hole into an outer wall. Armed with an ambient light and a small set of tools, I executed entry. Within, I saw faded paint lettering spelling out "LAB". This looked the place.

I ambled a labyrinth of partially collapsed corridors for some time, before coming to something which made my heart leap. A golden door. As in the tales I had heard. It appeared to be sealed mightily, however. There was no obvious mechanism to open it, although great hinges were visible. Pokes, prods, probes; all returned no avail.

I procured my telescoping crowbar and pried at the door, unsuccessfully. Then an idea occurred to me. I retracted it and placed it over the hinge before extending it again. Metallic cries ensued, but the aged doorhinge ultimately couldn't withstand the newer technology.

It splintered across the area. The door warped slightly, hinting at what mighty secret it may hide. My heartrate began to increase. I didn't notice that the entire structure gave a bit of an unholy shudder. I eagerly repeated the process on the second hinge. A slowly increasing groan could be heard. When the door finally gave way, it immediately slammed open, opposite to the direction it was intended.

Then the wave of green swept me away. Down the hall. Darkness and glints of green accompanied me on the trip, as I was battered and bruised. Around the corner. The building felt like it was in seismic upheaval. And then, all was still.

I found myself encased, unable to move. I peeled open my eyes. Thousands of fist-sized green icosahedrons had poured out of that door. My eyes focused on one directly in front of my face. Bright yellow letters spelled out "AP". Was it a trap? Was this useless plastic somehow once deemed of value? I had a strong feeling I would never know. As the weight began settling and crushing my chest, I could only pray the end would come soon.
Leader in Fire Clan
Guild lvl 475+
Currently full

Messages In This Thread
Short Story Community Competition! - Level - 02-02-2018, 03:54 PM
IGN: vexatyk - vexatyk - 02-06-2018, 04:16 PM
RE: Short Story Community Competition! - porkbob - 02-14-2018, 03:35 AM