Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Short Story Community Competition!
IGN: Jimralphy
Category: Dark
Word Count: 740

The Ice Queen Diary

Day 1: I am born, the new Queen on this world, to take the place of the last. Stories have been whispered throughout planet Beta that a new Queen has arrived.

Day 678: I like to think of myself as a just and benevolent ruler. Born to this position and bread for it. I have helped all to prosper and given a common goal to strive for. Exploration and expansion of my domain.

Day 1060: As I sit on my thrown and look out at my empire, I can’t help but look to the heavens to wonder what I will find once I finally step off this planet.
While Beta has been good to me and my many loyal subjects, I know there is more out there. Which is why I have my most competent Freakdwellers and Woblins on the task of building my armada. This planet has become too constricting for me.
Only days remain…

Day 1173: They have done surprisingly well. All my thruster, fuel, and hull upgrades have been carried out and now I must board my legions of troops. I don’t know what lays ahead, but I must be prepared.

Day 6384: Being awoken by the ships early entry alarm is a terrible way to start off on a new planet. I must make note to have someone change that.
Walking to the command center, I see that we are approaching planet Gamma. Readouts indicate the planets surface is habitable. I wonder what we might find here.

Day 6387: As the main hangars open, I can’t believe this planet is habitable, the smell. The smell is that of decay, it burns my nose and sets my nostrils on fire.
Although I see signs of life, large industrial looking compounds, we don’t detect any movement. Something must be here. Donning my royal battle garb and my trusty blade we venture forth. My large scale invasion forces have landed all around this world and are reporting the same scene. No one to welcome us or cower in fear. The same awful smell and empty industrial complexes.

Day 6391: Our first encounter with life and it looks to be a dog. My doctors insist on treating it for some form of Rabies. The poor creature looks to be starving, and is stumbling around as if drunk. We don’t know what to make of this but will do our best to treat it.

Day 6393: We have lost 5 of our medics now. The others don’t have an explanation. If the saliva from the beast gets on you, it will start to itch. If you go to sleep, you don’t wake up as yourself, but as a mindless drone. I must find out more. This power to control another is amazing. I fear I under estimated this planet. I shall take this creature in containment and study it.

Day 6418: Half of my armies are turned. I don’t know what has happened or what they have turned into. The smell that we first encountered on the planets surface is now lingering in the ships. The purification systems are having a hard time keeping up. We released all the creatures we captured and have taken to the skies. Suspected sick have been placed in quarantine.

Day 6421: I have now suffered many losses. Ships have crashed to the ground taking whole crews with them. We have taken to space again, my remaining crews being condensed down to fill ships to maximum working capacity. In such a short time, never having faced a single foe, I have been defeated. With less than half of what I started with, we travel home, through the empty nothingness. Trying to leave that frightful planet. At first sign of impairment my crew is on strict orders to jettison anybody suspected of what we are calling the Z-Virus. It spreads quickly and my medics are unable to figure a cure or cause. We fly alert. No sleeping on our return voyage.

Gamma Notes Received and Translated
Today, a new batch of living beings has set foot on my surface. It has been so long that I do not remember a time when there were consciousness’ outside of my own. I will be patient and lure them farther away from their perceived safety. My tendrils fly through the air and will soon find their way into their systems. I have need of much more….

Messages In This Thread
Short Story Community Competition! - Level - 02-02-2018, 03:54 PM
IGN: vexatyk - vexatyk - 02-06-2018, 04:16 PM
RE: Short Story Community Competition! - Jimralphy - 02-10-2018, 05:20 AM