Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Short Story Community Competition!
Username: BleedingMaybe

~The last Breezetroot~

I have collected these notes so that we, the Breezetroot, may live on through our words and ideas after the inevitable march of death stomps out my soul. It's my hope that someday someone will realize where we went wrong and prevent the vicious cycle which ended my species. That no one else will have to bear the sorrows of watching your species crumble to dust in the wind. Let our death knell serve as a warning to those too proud to notice the humble breezetroot.

- internal memo to the Breezetroot Oligarchy
A large sign bearing strange symbols "0.75eta" has fallen into the sea. None seem to understand what it means exactly, though food has become bountiful beyond our wildest dreams near the shores. Our hunter-gatherers have seemingly become unnecessary overnight. We have heard reports of Parrot Fish going missing, but who can really trust them? This food will usher in a new age of civilization whereby our population can give up its concerns for survival and evolve into something beautiful. As lead fish for the breezetroot agricultural department, I humbly advise we begin retraining our populace to thrive in our new environment beginning immediately. A society of engineers and architects, doctors and poets, these will put our species on the map.

- Missing Persons column -Breeze York Times, Jan 27,2017
Allan - last seen swimming with 2 Dark Crawlers, believed to be in possession of 1 pearl
Allana - last seen swimming with Amigo Rojo, Clover Fin, and Blue Berny, known carrier of two pearls
Alla'han - last seen with 3 other Breezetroots, pearls unknown
Allaleelo - last seen investigating disappearances near "BOAT"
Alla...(page torn, the rest is missing)

-Last known private phone call between the minister of defense and his wife, as transcribed by the ministry of Breezetroot patriotism
"I can't believe how dense this Ray-damned government is. We know these abductions are tied to our pearls, there's no other explanation, yet they just sit there, refusing to do what needs to be done. No matter how many times I try to tell them, no one will listen to me. I can't take it any more, Suze, I just can't. "
"Oh hon, you mustn't speak like that. Surely they must have another plan if they won't use yours."
"I love you, but your faith in the government is entirely missplaced. Maybe before the seven-five-eta event, but there's simply too much turnover in our government for anyone to govern. Ever since the Oligarchs were abducted we've had at least 8 different forms of government and three times as many leaders. I fear I may have to attempt a coup if the current head of our government(I think he's a king now?) won't listen tomorrow. If we can't offload our pearls onto the River Elders we won't last another three months."
"Well... I may have some good news for you."
"Oh?"
"Yesterday, a rainbow coalition of all fish lead by a Spectrumo came to our door. They claimed that these abductions were actually a calling from a higher power. A chance to serve a higher purpose. They call themselves the cult of sacrifice, and they say they can get us abducted. We can be with your brother, and our daughter, we can see our parents again and everyone who's been taken. Our suffering will finally come to an end. "
"NO, please tell me you haven't joined them! They're a bunch of nutjobs, don't join them. Don't take anything they offer! Please no! "
"I've already taken the bait... Join me..."
"Nooo! Wait, don't leave me!"

-Personal journal of BleedingMaybe the last Breezetroot
May 1st, 2017

Nothing good comes from above. Last night, poison began pouring into our water. I managed to be right under the first dumping site when it began so I can assure you, it is poison. Some of it landed on my left fin and immediately started burning into me. The red substance coming from the wound is like nothing I've seen. I can no longer keep pace with those last few of us guarding The Bait. I pray that those left guarding The Bait will persevere, but if this dumping continues I don't believe they will be able to. No one has any explanations for the dumping, however just like with the seven-five-eta event I fear many will die.

Messages In This Thread
Short Story Community Competition! - Level - 02-02-2018, 03:54 PM
RE: Short Story Community Competition! - BleedingMaybe() - 02-03-2018, 07:48 AM
IGN: vexatyk - vexatyk - 02-06-2018, 04:16 PM