Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Short Story Community Competition!
by IGN: Mogo
Genre: Dark
Title: The Resilient Crystals
Word Count: 619
Readability Grade Level: 8

Mogo was thinking about Hector again, a desperate scoundrel with a deplorable countenance with a personality to match. Mogo walked over to the window and reflected on the claim before him. He had always loved mysterious Kappa with its expansive mythic landscapes, rich with stone and scatterings of resilient crystals. Gazing out the window in the distance he saw someone approaching. As fate would have it, Hector had come calling for payment for the distasteful task done.

Mogo’s friends viewed him as hopeful and compassionate, but no fool with an iron mind and stern eye. He had even saved an e.collide from a glacial pit on Beta, that beast has come in handy on several occasions. But, even a person hardened by gruesome events like he was hadn’t fully prepared him for the preposterousness of what Hector had in store today.

With the pandemonium the tempest brought yesterday, a bad omen to be sure and, with Hector showing up so quickly, it was stressing Mogo. He grabbed a bag of resilient crystals from nearby; thinking these should suffice and stepped outside as Hector came closer. The glint of greed was bright in Hector’s eyes and a little something seemed off… this might go all wrong.

Hector glared at Mogo and said, in hurried hushed tones, "we all hated Maximillius and what he was certain to cause but, I’ve hated you with the burning of all the stars in the sky since you figured out what had to be done and now that I’ve done it. I want compensation… your mine will do."

"Hector, your demand is beyond unacceptable," Mogo replied briskly and poker-faced.

They sized each other up like two robobees from different colonies would. Finally breaking the tension hanging in the air, Mogo said, “The only reason I worked with you on this at all was that strategy dictates that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. You were the only one that would listen to reason and now that our common enemy is no more I have no more use for you then I did before it all began.” Their common foe had been the only bond they shared, and once Mogo explained the situation of dark ones rising they had both known the atonal music playing by Maximillius had to be stopped or risk waking the dark ones and destroying all the miners’ claims.

Mogo studied Hector for a moment and saw his hand edging closer toward his blade. Eventually, he took a deep breath. "I'm sorry," began Mogo in grave tones, "There is no way you can have my mine, but… I do have here a bag filled with some Resilient Crystals. You know their power, you used one to stop Maximillius." His pet e.collide had oozed its way near Hector unnoticed. It, having sensed its master’s apprehension, was ready to strike should his master be actively threatened.

Hector, oblivious to the e.collide nearby wore greed on his face, his emotions open, clear, and mostly predictable. Mogo could almost hear Hector's thoughts click. Hector sneered, hand still near his blade, he moved quickly grabbing the bag. As he turned to hurry away he finally noticed the e.collide. Dodging the beast, even though there had been no need to as it was not on the offensive, he speedily moved off into the distance back to his own claim. He called back once he felt safe far enough away, “I won’t forget that you just tried to cheat me.”

And while the claims were safe for all the miners, that last statement by Hector left Mogo disquieted. Not even a large mug of hot lemon tea was going to calm Mogo's thoughts tonight - is it over?

Messages In This Thread
Short Story Community Competition! - Level - 02-02-2018, 03:54 PM
RE: Short Story Community Competition! - Mogo - 02-03-2018, 01:32 AM
IGN: vexatyk - vexatyk - 02-06-2018, 04:16 PM