Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need In-Guild Message Board
Thumbs Up 
One thing guilds could REALLY use is an in-guild message boards that allows all users to post. Ideally, it could list from most recent message at top, older going down.

This would be useful because the AFK-nature of the game makes it rare to catch guildies online for chat, and currently I think there is a general lack of communication between guild mates that could be fixed with a guild message board.

Thanks for consideration--
I agree with some kind of guild messaging system that stays so people just coming online can see things that have been said. It can also be used to try to organize group raids and what not. People didn't seem to like the idea when I posted it (although that could be because of my poor wording). I hope this gets added.
If this is something that a lot of people want, and will actually use, then I think we should post our support for it.

My indifference is merely due to the fact that I personally rarely use the in-game medium in games for semi-permanent communication (except PM systems). I'm not as well versed in modern games, especially browser-based, so if there are good solutions to this, please keep posting ideas.

The current chat system is subpar, and that will change with future updates, but chat is inherently impermanent, and as you say this is an idle game. To fit a message board into a small client seems clumsy and limited, especially if it will be used on mobile devices too. In either case, browser play on a computer and mobile play with an app store, there are readily available free alternatives to communicate.

There will have to be big compromises for in-game communication to be useful and utilized. How much use will 100~400 character posts be on a screen that could only display a few lines at a time? How often do you read chat logs or long forum threads via flash clients?

I know some guilds use 3rd party resources since those will always be superior to an in-game solution, but they include downsides, such as requiring account registrations, potential fees for premium services, etc.

I've seen mobile games where there ends up being a de facto chat app/service that most players use (and will download/make a new account if they don't already use it) simply because it's so ubiquitous.

Conversely, I've seen some guilds utilize the in-game guild chat very effectively, communicating with frequently active players as well as mostly afk players. The biggest downsides being you can't read anything if you disconnect or there is a server reset.

I'm skeptical, but if anyone has ideas or examples I would absolutely be interested to read them.

In the meantime, feel free to make your own "exclusive" guild threads in the guild or general forums for guild chitchat if that's of any use.

Rock on.
^
Here is an example of an in-guild message board on a mobile android game I used to play. Without it, the game just wouldn't of been half the game it was; really.

[Image: XOosyUw.png]
I agree we need some sort of means to communicate. an in game one is not a sound idea how about a link to the guilds forum.
I think the chat window having a bit more permanence (say, 24 hours) would probably do it if a board is bad programming/memory wise.
I would definitely be in favour of it

I think having your own enjin/facebook/IRC is much better, especially if your guild represents many different timezones. But the simple truth is that some people just don't like doing that and would rather everything be done in game

I think the solution here is to go ahead with it, so that it will satisfy those who want it, and those who don't want it or just don't care can ignore it and continue with how they were communicating in the first place.
Andez - Click Heroes