Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The new hud
I honestly can't say I like it. 

You removed the time... Because it was "useless" even though it lets people know exactly when they can refresh for their daily login bonus. In exchange for murdering the clock you resized all of the icons (Level,Gold,AP and Diamonds) to be smaller, and to fill the empty space of the missing clock you made the other boxes wider with more space in between. Why remove a working and somewhat helpful feature for nothing but bigger boxes and crappier looking icons?

You removed the lines from the pet training, why exactly? Sure, you could class it as.. "They're not needed" same thing as the clock right?  If you realise it or not, but you would feel a sense of progression when you trained your pet before, more so when your pet actually levels up. What I'm getting at is, while those pet lines were very insignificant they made training your pet something other than "BIG GREEN BAR, FILL ME." Training your pet now is just waiting for some big green bar to fill up for weeks for you to finally level up and fill the damn thing again. There's no sense of progression other than when you level up, however minor those pet lines were, they made it so much better.

[Image: o7vf5z.jpg]
                                                                                                                                                                                      ^hi pets?^

The skills you changed to better fit the hud I would assume, but what was so bad about see through skills that actually looked good when they lit up when you used them. Now we're left with some skills that can't decide which shade of brown they want to be, outlined in a silver/grey combination (if you were going for white they need to be whiter) that turn into a mustard yellow when used.
 [Image: 34ilje9.jpg]

Also, why are there heavy dark brown lines through the bottom of everything now? "Leave Party" "Options" "Chat" "Party Member"

That's about it, don't take it too hard Ray. This kind of stuff just... Bothers me.
Hey Solar,

Sorry you don't like the new changes - I can't win them all. I've had positive feedback until now, and also grabbed feedback from people out of the game prior to making the changes official on whether people felt it was an improvement. It's still a work in progress, so feedback is always welcome.

That being said I understand your concerns on the lack of the clock; however needing to know the time due to the broken midnight reset is an issue that needs to be addressed separately. When the clock was added to the game, it was added because I had intentions of adding early-on global events at specific times, but that never ended up happening. Perhaps I can squeeze the clock back in for the next patch.

The removal of the lines for the progress bars were actually a worry to me as well...I figured I would gauge a reaction and see if anyone even mentioned the removal. I can see about adding lines in again.

As for the icons being hidden behind the highlight/active layer, that was just a simple overlook.
Thanks for the response Ray.

Regarding the clock, and space on the hud in general. Would it be possible to move the sound mute buttons to the options panel? The clock could fit perfectly there.
( or something else )
However, I don't really see a reason for the clock to be added back now. Especially if the game is supposed to reset at midnight. ( and will be soon )

Pet lines coming back? That would be, so great. Smile

Once again, sorry about the harsh feedback. I'm just slightly anal when it comes to changing things, especially when it makes things worse. (In my opinion) I have enjoyed every update you've put out so far, minus the few things I pointed out in this one. Overall though I think it's great, especially the new exp bar.
lol I like the new HUD. I guess it all just comes down to preference. Made me laugh when you said the pet lines. The bar isn't even needed at all, since Fed: 1/90 shows your pet progression. But if a few lines makes you think it trains any faster, than =p

Makes it look more woody (the dark lines). Visual changes like this don't bother me, as it doesn't affect the game play. It's impossible for a dev to please everyone that plays, since people have different opinions.

I think that is something that people should keep in mind before complaining. Ray does an amazing job as the sole dev and he has and continues to put in a lot of work developing the game. It kind of irks me when people feel the need to complain about visual things after someone spends hours putting work into something that he/she thinks looks good. Only to have someone shoot it down. Don't get me wrong, it's good to have an opinion but to call something worse, based solely on your opinion doesn't actually make it worse. Furthermore while Ray is a polite soul, I don't think anyone enjoys hearing that their effort is disliked, especially after listening to the community and taking in feedback before making a change.

lol You have a problem with the actual game play, feel free to complain as the chances are, others in the community may agree with you more so as it would actually affect them. Dw this is just me being anal about the things I dislike as well.

Anyways Ray, keep up the good work.
@CRIMSONKING
I'm pretty Sure solar is aware that Ray works hard and does an excellent work on this game, he simply expressed what I consider constructive criticism on some visual aspects of the game, no matter how trivial and unimportant they are compared to gameplay ones.

Of course making sure the gameplay side of the game works fine is an absolute priority, but that shouldn't stop users from helping Ray with their feedback on the visual side as well. And Ray himself admitted he wasn't completely sure on some choices (like the pet exp bar), or overlooked others (the highlighter layer overlapping abilities icons). That doesn't mean complaining or belittling all the fantastic work Ray is putting into the game, and a peculiar thing about feedback is that Ray is free to approve it or not depending on whether he considers a specific suggestion worth of being applied (where factors like his personal opinion and the feasibility and/or time such change requires matter).

All in all, I think each suggestion is welcome as long as it provides a complete explanation like Solar did. Had he simply posted "I don't like the old hud, I was used to the old one" THAT would have been just a complaint, not a feedback.

Just because some things (like gameplay) are much more important than others (like aestethic changes) it doesn't mean users should completely avoid posting the latter (if anything, they should of course not expect those suggestions to be prioritized over gameplay ones when it comes to Ray looking at the suggestions forum). Nor it means lacking respect towards all the efforts and time Ray puts into his job.
It's all good. I'm a programmer, not a designer...I wing interfaces and just hope for the best usually.

That being said, regardless of whether something will look improved to a brand new user or not, existing players may find discomfort in change...with the emphasis of "If it's not broken, why change it?". I'm usually one of those people myself....for example look at Google Map's new interface - to me, it's complete garbage and a turn around from what I recall as being perfect before, but people who use it for the first time, comparing to the old are going to think it's more fluid.

The reason i'm working on swapping things with new interface elements is to attempt to give everything a more consistent and attached look, along with setting it up to be more expandable. The old interface, while it has done a great job since the start, is finding some limitations that i'm not equipped to resolve without rehiring the same artist to redo a lot of things. These changes aren't for personal aesthetic preferences, but for the ability to expand/optimize the interface system
Could it be possible to have an option among settings that lets us switch to a "light" version of the game with less lag for older/crappy computers?