Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A beginners Guide to IOU
Hello and welcome to IOU. Here's a simple guide to playing the game. Hit the big red attack button and you're off on your idle adventure.

Ray is the developer, have any questions feel free to ask him. He's very open minded to changes, complaints  and questions.

Tips, Tricks and Stuff

When you first begin you will be very weak, since this is an idle game, your best bet is to put your initial gold earnings into auto damage and auto related skills. While click damage does more damage than autoing, it is a limited means of attack for farming.

However, clix is not used in events, challenges and exploring further in your adventure. So you can put it up and get more out of it, for those cases. How you choose to go about it is up to you.

Hunting upgrades are also useful as they relate directly to your gold income, not only from regular mobs but also from treasure chests. Spending gold into gold upgrades is very useful, as the more gold you earn the faster you can upgrade your skills.

So are skills the only way to get more damage? No, as you level up you will also gain damage per level. Certain levels have bigger bonuses as far as damage boosts. You also get abilities when you level up. You get 1 point per level to choose the ability of your choice. Abilities need to be activated and have a cool down. They do however, make you dish out a lot more damage.

The freeze skill while good on regular mobs, should be known that in challenges, it's time is divided among the group. Which makes it less useful imo. Splat is good but is one attack with a cool down. The other skills, are used for 10 seconds with a minute cool down, I think. So to me those are worth it to level instead. Up to you ofc.

On the right you'll see a treasure chest with a timer. lol When the timer reaches 0, click it to claim some gold, diamond(s) and Ap

Tree cutting: In IOU you have the ability to cut down trees. Woot. When you cut down a tree you get logs. As a beginner these logs can be sold for 1,000 gold a piece, which is a lot of gold. It is better to sell them initially than to save up for upgrades (imo). Later on when 1000's of gold aren't as useful, save up for the tree cutting upgrades.

Mining: You also have the ability to mine. Instead of logs you mine, stone. The only difference now though between stone and logs are, that stone is going to be used for guild building upgrades. So if you want to start saving for your future guild..up to you. If you prefer to sell them for gold, that's also fine. You also get a crystal after you clear a platform which is worth 100,000 gold when sold (also going to be used for guild upgrades) but as you can guess would be great for selling and buying upgrades.

IMPORTANT: When mining or wood cutting, never click the quit button. As the game takes it as you actually wanting to quit and back out from that job. If you hit the x button on the other hand, the screen just closes and when you resume the activity, you will start off from where you left off. ( lol Complain to Ray to have this changed)

Space Expeditions: You have a spaceship. It's a way to get Ap, Gold and Diamonds for free, all you do is go on an expedition wait the designated amount of time and claim your rewards. Gold is pointless imo. Diamonds are good because it goes towards your VIP support  level. Ap is actually the most efficient one. 5 diamonds = 1 ap. There are 4 hour, 8 hour and 20 hour expeditions. The 20 hour is the worst one, as it only gives 150%, which is 50% less than the other 2. I hate it as well, complain to Ray lol.

You can also upgrade your ship. The best upgrade is costly but well worth it. It allows you to do more than one expedition at a time. 

While AP is technically the most efficient use of time, If you're not overly far from a support level, go with diamonds to raise that instead. As it will help you out more so than accumulating a few more Ap. 

You  get a daily reward for logging in. You need to refresh the game once a day to claim it. Free stuff, it's great.

Currencies

Diamonds: So like me, you're probably wondering what the heck Diamonds and Ap are, and what they're used for. You may think, hmm, maybe I should convert some diamonds into Ap, since Ap looks way more useful. Well before you decide to go that route, check out the Upgrade>VIP tabs. You'll see that if you invest your diamonds here, you'll get much more out of it than using it for other reasons.

I would suggest using diamonds only for this upgrade. Silly me, I converted mine into Ap when I first started to buy more pet food. Big mistake. I would also never suggest using it to replenish energy. Huge waste of diamonds.

Another cool method of obtaining more gold and experience is a collection of Diamonds. Ray made it so that with a collected amount of diamonds, (doesn't matter if you spend them) you get a bonus. Character tab> Info. Make sure you claim them once you get the amount needed.

AP: Ap is very useful and the hardest currency to come by ( though it isn't that hard). As you explore further, every new map you conquer you'll get some ap and diamonds. Sweet.

Trophies: lol Interesting idea for a currency, gj Ray. You can upgrade with trophies in this game. You get trophies by doing certain tasks. Time reduction upgrades. Some of them, are iffy with the reduction. Tasks, that require more time such as expeditions and pet training are better uses, since the time between them are greater than say skills. So a 2% off of a minute skill isn't that great but 2% off of 8 hours is.  

Event points: This is a newer currency, and I guess can be argued is even harder to get than Ap since it's a limited income only available during events. However, during event's its quite easy to obtain (up to a certain amount ofc). EP are used to unlock damage boosts which are passively obtained when points are accumulated.

Pets

When you get it, train it. Don't waste any pet food you get on feeding it though. Not yet anyway. Why? Well after you ascend, you get prestige points. With those points one upgrade is to increase the amount of 'train' each pet food gives. So to get the most out of pet food, it is suggested that you wait ( a long time) to use it there. Tbh the amount of damage that your pet does isn't even that much, so I'd refrain from using any other currencies to level it up. Ofc if you choose to, by all means go for it. When pets get to lvl 10 20 and 30, they evolve into stronger pets. You also get a second pet after you ascend the first time ( it's not free lol). More damage, sweet.

Ascension

This is what most of us idle players look forward to when playing an idle game. Well I do anyway. This is what gives the game it's replay value. The prestige system in this game is a little bit different. When you prestige, while you do gain ways to increase your damage, be warned that the enemies after you ascend...also become harder. In this game when you prestige you don't have the option to start back at the first level. No, you start at a much higher level. So make sure that you can idle solo high level mobs before you prestige.

There are tons of prestige upgrades here are a few: Auto dmg (+5%), Auto speed (5%), Auto crit (10%), Click Damage (10%), Click Speed (10%), Double Train (+1 pet food value), Party Boost (+10%)  and so many more.

Leeching like a boss

Party boost. While you won't get the ascended version as a beginner. You can get the leeching version. That is to leech with a player of a higher level, to help you kill faster and to get their hunting bonuses ( that apply). Everyone does it. If you don't like it, you can put up a password to block people or only allow people that you want in your party. It's appropriate to ask before you join but if you don't, at least tell the person thank you. Have some manners. Also put them back to where they were when you partied them. There are party limitations but you can see what they are in game.

Challenges

Challenges are one of the most fun parts of the game to me, it's a way to increase your damage. Higher difficulty challenges reward with more base damage but are harder to beat lol. There are Single, duo and group challenges, each reward once. So for instance Bronze Rat Solo, gives 2 base damage. Bronze Duo Rat also gives 2 damage. In this way, you can rack up a ton of base damage.

Furthermore you get even more base damage with points called milestones. As a beginner, you'll need to leech off of stronger players to try and obtain the first level of milestone. You will get AP, and Diamonds from completing each boss in the challenge once, which is always a big plus.

Guild

Not something you have to do as a beginner but having friends to talk to and ask advice from is always nice. Guild building are not implemented as yet, so it's up to you if you choose to join one.

I'll edit the guide as needed, I probably left a ton of stuff out. Feel free to ask.
nice guide well done crimson :v
Rat challenges give +2 base damage, not +3.

I also don't agree with AP expeditions being most efficient. While it's true that 5 diamonds = 1 AP, you're not using diamonds for AP at the start of the game, you're trying to get VIP EXP and Gold up to level 10. +20% gold + EXP is far more efficient than raising a skill with AP at the start. Later on you can do AP expeditions if you're sticking with 20% bonus.
(04-03-2015, 01:35 AM)Cheetah Wrote: Rat challenges give +2 base damage, not +3.

I also don't agree with AP expeditions being most efficient. While it's true that 5 diamonds = 1 AP, you're not using diamonds for AP at the start of the game, you're trying to get VIP EXP and Gold up to level 10. +20% gold + EXP is far more efficient than raising a skill with AP at the start. Later on you can do AP expeditions if you're sticking with 20% bonus.
That doesn't change the fact that it is the most efficient one. I have no clue where you read that I suggested otherwise?

This is what was said, " 

Currencies

Diamonds: So like me, you're probably wondering what the heck Diamonds and Ap are, and what they're used for. You may think, hmm, maybe I should convert some diamonds into Ap, since Ap looks way more useful. Well before you decide to go that route, check out the Upgrade>VIP tabs. You'll see that if you invest your diamonds here, you'll get much more out of it than any other reasons.

I would suggest using diamonds only for this upgrade."

Maybe you should of read the whole guide, before jumping to conclusions. I never suggested doing space runs for converting anything. Ap is more valuable than diamonds. By the time you get to further planets and do challenges, your VIP will be a pretty high level, that you don't need to waste time in space on losing out on efficiency with diamond runs. 

Thanks for the Rat damage, it's been awhile since I did challenges, lol should of looked.
Nicely done. I would perhaps add something about diamonds from expeditions going toward support level as well. While AP is technically the most efficient use of time, If you're not overly far from a support level, go with diamonds to raise that
Zieg asked Chatzy to choose between work and play iourpg. Chatzy chose: play iourpg
(04-03-2015, 04:43 AM)zieg777 Wrote: Nicely done. I would perhaps add something about diamonds from expeditions going toward support level as well. While AP is technically the most efficient use of time, If you're not overly far from a support level, go with diamonds to raise that

Thanks, added. 
Quote:Ap is actually the most efficient one. 5 diamonds = 1 ap.
It's only the most efficient one when you have VIP level 10 in both skills. When we're talking about efficiency, we're trying to decide on what brings us the most EXP and gold per hour. Those VIP bonuses must be rushed for to be the most efficient for each second spent on the game.
Since there is no reverse conversion, diamonds are what all beginning players should go for. After level 10 in each VIP upgrade AP is the most efficient. Only by that time the players are no longer beginners, so let's be frank, this IS a beginners guide right? The way it's written implies that AP is ALWAYS the most efficient which is completely incorrect.
(04-05-2015, 04:03 AM)Cheetah Wrote:
Quote:Ap is actually the most efficient one. 5 diamonds = 1 ap.
It's only the most efficient one when you have VIP level 10 in both skills. When we're talking about efficiency, we're trying to decide on what brings us the most EXP and gold per hour. Those VIP bonuses must be rushed for to be the most efficient for each second spent on the game.
Since there is no reverse conversion, diamonds are what all beginning players should go for. After level 10 in each VIP upgrade AP is the most efficient. Only by that time the players are no longer beginners, so let's be frank, this IS a beginners guide right? The way it's written implies that AP is ALWAYS the most efficient which is completely incorrect.

lol You know, you could just not follow the guide. Make your own guide, with your own choices. A guide is just a guide, what you choose to do is solely up to you. 

If you want to spend hours on diamonds instead go for it, I don't consider waiting in sets of 4-8 hours a rush of anything but lol you're the boss. If you beginner leech though and party with higher level people and get to further planets, you will get to VIP 10 so quickly that your argument becomes moot. You just read one part of the guide and were so against it, you probably didn't read the rest of it. 

Since you probably didn't read the whole guide the first time, it's slim chances that you read the guide again before you commented. Since a suggestion was taken and this was added to it. "While AP is technically the most efficient use of time, If you're not overly far from a support level, go with diamonds to raise that instead. As it will help you out more so than accumulating a few more Ap."

So ALWAYS, no. I have no problems with changing the guide, if I agree to the change. If I don't and your argument or point of view is solely for you wanting to be right, then that doesn't help anyone. 

It should be noted in this fun little argument that I got this idea while telling my buddy to join the game. He started off at a much lower level than I did and followed pretty much what this guide says. He's level 107 now which is only 4 levels behind myself. He has higher level auto damage than I do and was able to focus on upgrades that were much more useful. He went from a beginner to an intermediate player very quickly. His pets do more damage than mine do. His VIP levels are higher. Overall he got to basically start the game off on a much better foot than I did, because I told him what he should do. When some people start this game they have no clue what benefits them the most or 'most'. All this guide does, is give them a better chance at success than I did when I first started to play. 

You're probably not even a beginner anymore since you seem to know the best ways to play this game. I encourage you to make your own guide. The more guides and views on the game, the better it is for people that are playing it.