Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public Events - Let's work together!
I believe that nothing brings a community together better than working together to accomplish a common goal. One perfect example of that in IOU right now is guilds. A group of people come together to grow a guild, benefiting all. But guilds are fairly small, and limited, and that's not a problem at all.

Instead what I suggest are Public(global) themed instances. This could include any assortment of Global Dungeons, Global Bosses, Global Buildings, and Gobal Warming.

Here's what I'm thinking, and I'm thinking very broadly here because I want the feedback of the rest of the community:

Global Dungeons: A daily event that resets like everything else (00:00 EST) that allows players to connect to a public dungeon and fight monsters to attain higher progress, yielding higher rewards (specific to personal participation).

Global Bosses: This one speaks for itself. At random, a boss spawns in IOU, it's your mission to aid in its defeat! Just like dungeons, rewards are specific to personal participation.

Global Buildings. This one is a little different, and kind of an odd concept that I like. We have guild buildings in which members can donate to, earn guild XP, and reap benefits as the buildings level up. What I propose is the same, but on a global level. The stone required to level these buildings up would be drastically increased, and beyond that the stone donated will contribute to a Contribution Milestone which allows those who donate more to get more effect from the building.

Example of Global Building:
Arena level 1 - .5% increased damage.
Arena level 1 Milestone requirement - 250,000 stone. Once a player has donated 250,000 stone, they will get the effect of Arena level 1.

Arena level 2 - 1% increased damage.
Arena level 2 Milestone requirement - 500,000. Even though the Arena might be level 2, if you've only donated 300,000 stone, you only get the effects of level 1. Once 500,000 is reached, you'll have the effect of level 2.

What this does is allows players not only to work together, but allows them to strategically choose which benefits they'd like to choose from. Additionally, contribution can be totaled up similar to Guild XP, which allows players to purchase smaller, but significant personal upgrades with Global XP.

I know this was a lot, and the numbers are just theoretical for example sake, but I wanted to keep things broad so that you all can voice your opinions as well.
Since I'm the 'first one' here, I'll briefly go over my thoughts and try to pose other ideas too.

Dungeon

I think instead of the thought of 'global' it would have to be guild wise. Global is just like regular challenges, and I'm not certain about the server stability but I think there would be far to much lag with 40 people; as great as it sounds.
(Course the numbers from other peoples DMG would have to be automatically removed due to this)
Otherwise if it checks out, heck yea! Although since Top Players are way ahead, anyone in their queue would be greatly rewarded compared to any others, or they could just 'carry' the global challenges lel.

So I'd suggest having the boss actually impossible to kill, and have rewards entirely based on players damage. This is sort of hypocritical to my argument of people joining top players, so just a sub thought.

Come to think of it, I think this was suggested before^

Bosses

One main problem I see directly from this idea is that if a boss randomly spawns only the people that are active and ready to use abilities will get the rewards, ending up to a huge waist of time to those afk'ing. Yet at the same time if the boss is easy enough to kill by autoing, then it's no different than treasures; or if  you want it to give extra EXP instead¿. Unless you want the rewards to be Massive/known or easily gained, it wouldn't benefit those who weren't ready. Although if there was something like a 'count down clock' that gave the heads up ~x hours ahead I couldn't see it being that bad.
Even a 'Count down clock' for Dungeons could work, which from your suggestion would just be the reset time..

Buildings

I love the idea of some sort of global milestones, but I really don't think the payment method can be stone. Most players would just donate to their guild instead, intentionally letting others worry about the global building.
(I'm saying that it might only turn out to be the top players donating, they'd be the only ones to have enough stone)
*-The Global guild exp would have to be a pretty big boost-

The concept of this would be really good for an event though*

There's quite a few ideas that can be branched from the thought of a 'global' building.

For example:        -(using wood as example for the first one)-

You could have a personal building that requires wood, affecting the entire party, benefiting the party (including you), stacking with other party members building levels.

or: (pulling this one out of a hat)

There could be a global 'prestige' 'building' (loading ship), donated by Expedition Points: Once it levels up, all guild buildings Maximum level cap is increased, with the exception of guild hall.
Thank you Vosavo for the feedback and the read. I suppose my thoughts weren't translated to word as graciously as I'd have liked. First, I want to say that I'm moving my ideas away from further guild stuff for the purpose of this thread. Guilds are great, don't get me wrong, but unless you're an extremely organized community, a group of 40 people is the best you'll ever accomplish in IOU. This is an MMO, and I think it would be a fantastic idea to bring players together regardless of their guilds. Let's give each other a reason to cheer one another on while still remaining competitive.

A note on my idea of global dungeons: While the instance would be locked to one set of values, the players involved do not have to be "grouped." It's more of a daily, you show up, put in your work, and see how far we get as a server in total. Of course since the player wouldn't be "connected" to the other participants, who do not have to be active at the same time, hence daily instance, the progress would easily be tracked via leaderboard. Of course high end players are going to reap more benefits, that's the game. We level up to hit harder and get better xp/gold. As far as the difficulty, I don't foresee this as something that would be cleared daily, necessarily. My idea is that the top twenty guilds together would have a fair shot. This also provides something else to do throughout the day rather than sitting there watching the same monster die for hours. Yes, it's an idle game, but that doesn't mean flavor is the enemy.

A note for bosses: Very much similar to Global Dungeons, the difference being that these spawn randomly. Yes, it means that you'll have to be on and active to participate. That's precisely my intention with that proposal. Something to spice things up, keep it interesting. Keep players wanting to see what's going on in IOU right now.

I like your thinking with the Global Buildings. A quick note being that stone will not *always* be useful. Like Expedition points, its usefulness is also finite. There's a large lump of players that will soon be falling into that as guilds continue to grow. However, it doesn't *have* to be stone, the resource could be brand new and still yield the same effect. Hell, you could even make trees drop an extra resource just as mines drop crystals and diamonds, then use that resource instead. The meat of that idea lies in the concept.

Overall, I don't think that anyone will disagree that the in game community is generally limited to your guild. It at times can feel very isolated as an MMO. The main thing that I am proposing here is player to player interaction because afterall, an MMO is only as strong as its community.
Bosses

The way i can see this working is by having a boss people can leave their party instance for awhile to contribute to, when someone decides to no longer help with the boss and stop dpsing then he leaves the instance and all the damage he dealt over the time period is added up and sent as an attack.

Since this thing is focused around what a group of players achieves together not what one single player does, i would prefer it if everyday based on total dps dealt to the boss all players receive a daily reward coming in tiers, also to make it more interesting i guess you could have it be rather then just 1 boss and dealing as much damage as you can, have boss 1, boss 2 etc and when the system recognises people have stored up enough damage it takes away the damage people dealt and kills the boss

Dungeons

In regards to global dungeons, i cannot see it being nessecary and would personally prefer more content that forces guild members to work together as with the current way things work most members in the guild are dead for a lot of the day and this would increase guild communication and teamwork

Buildings

In regards to global buildings, i am fine with the original concept however personally i'm still debating weather its really right to just use stone. Just an idea but maybe, we can have some farm system where people obtain a different type of food currency which can be used to work on these buildings exclusively and also have seperate personal upgrades from the guild ones.

Balancing

That's rays job =p but on a serious note, i can't really say how to balance things, its best to have things like this initially run with some base values on a test server so players can say if the rates are wrong or not, after that when it is somewhat balanced, it can go to the main server and be further balanced from there.

As much as i'd rather the refinement of current things which still needs to happen, guild buildings still need rebalancing to make every building a difficult decision rather then a straight forward decision process. I feel this game needs more content and so any suggestions i see sound good to me~
p.s not saying i don't understand how hard the team is working, just saying what in general i feel is needed ^^
Quote:A note on my idea of global dungeons: It's more of a daily, you show up, put in your work, and see how far we get as a server in total.

If you wanted to have more guild participation, the dungeons can be based on the guild.
                         After all there is the guild building: 'Dungeons'.
There would have to be a limit to how many times the player can enter. (per day¿)

Quote: note for bosses: Very much similar to Global Dungeons, the difference being that these spawn randomly. Yes, it means that you'll have to be on and active to participate. That's precisely my intention with that proposal. Something to spice things up, keep it interesting. Keep players wanting to see what's going on in IOU right now.
Ah thought you meant for the boss to randomly spawn in the party (replacing the current creature).

Quote:have boss 1, boss 2 etc and when the system recognises people have stored up enough damage it takes away the damage people dealt and kills the boss
I think this is a pretty good method for bosses. It could unpredictably spawn roughly every 3hours, with a notification/unique challenge queue. You'd also only be able to join the boss you are on, splitting carries from doing all the work.

I'd also much prefer it to be based on damage dealt (dps), although bosses could work being based on completion, all while dungeons would hopefully be based on dps.

But overall since the game is lacking content, it's pretty easy to come up with these seemingly amazing but somewhat broad suggestions. Unless it's really unique I don't think it has much significance, Ray has probably already discussed these things. xd
(04-02-2016, 01:33 AM)vosavo Wrote: If you wanted to have more guild participation, the dungeons can be based on the guild.
                         After all there is the guild building: 'Dungeons'.
There would have to be a limit to how many times the player can enter. (per day¿)

I agree with pretty much everything else you said, just wanted to clarify here. There currently enough guild stuff queued for content, I wanted this to be global. Also, it wouldn't be limited to how many times you enter per day, but by your stamina/mana. We have a resource already in place that's scarcely used outside of scripters.

This isn't to say that guild dungeons also couldn't be a thing in the future. The purpose of this thread is ideas that EVERYONE can join in on, not just a guild, not just a few top players, etc.
(04-02-2016, 01:56 AM)Martyr Wrote: I agree with pretty much everything else you said, just wanted to clarify here. There currently enough guild stuff queued for content, I wanted this to be global. Also, it wouldn't be limited to how many times you enter per day, but by your stamina/mana. We have a resource already in place that's scarcely used outside of scripters.

This isn't to say that guild dungeons also couldn't be a thing in the future. The purpose of this thread is ideas that EVERYONE can join in on, not just a guild, not just a few top players, etc.

The thought of it being stam/mana could work out o.0 +1 to that.

- Alrighty, just thought that the idea of dungeons works so well with the building, and global dungeons is kinda the same idea as normal challenges (except 'bigger'), was trying to sway it towards guilds.