Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion [Random Card Packs]
Hey there!

Just wanted to throw out the suggestion for random card packs.   Looks like it would not be overly difficult to implement, and a lot of people might prefer to pay a little more for a chance at a lot more.  Currently there are 7 different packs, allowing for random packs to give out a fairly good variety of packs.  

Just to give some idea of numbers, I would suggest 2 different packs if it is possible to implement within the UI reasonably.  Low chance random and High chance random, or Big/Small if those are better labels.  One at 750 diamonds, and the other at 1500.  The first is priced between the small and medium pack, while the second is between medium and large. 

For the 750 diamond random pack, I would suggest (totally randomly, numbers will almost definitely need adjusting) something like Tiny(27.5%)/Small(30%)/Medium(15%)/Large(12.5%)/Jumbo(9%)/Gigantic(4.5%)/Inferno(1.5%). --> At those percentages, there should be a decent chance to get more than 750 diamonds worth, but it should not be out of control.  Even the higher tier packs will balance out and exceed the safer price of just buying the pack alone.   There is always some risk in the gambling process. Smile

For the 1500 I would put the numbers closer to this; Tiny(5%)/Small(15%)/Medium(35%)/Large(22.5%)/Jumbo(12.5%)/Gigantic(5%)/Inferno(5%).  Again the numbers probably need a little adjustment, but like the previous bracket allows for the possibility of good rewards, while averaging on the lower end of things.

I think this implementation would help the game, as a lot of people like to pay to play in more of a gambling fashion.  It somewhat adds to the fun of things!  I'm just speaking for myself, but I know the feature has worked well in many other games.
nice idea but it only affects the paying players really. No f2p is ever going to have a spare 750 diamonds to blow on cards
(10-03-2015, 01:08 AM)SonGoku Wrote: nice idea but it only affects the paying players really. No f2p is ever going to have a spare 750 diamonds to blow on cards
It affects the f2p indirectly by converting some paying players into getting diminished returns on purchases.  Therefore slightly closing the gap due to the nature of odds with gambling.  Also, the 750 tier could be used a couple times by f2p players if they chose to use them instead of on other things.
(10-03-2015, 12:39 AM)AffinityX Wrote: For the 750 diamond random pack, I would suggest (totally randomly, numbers will almost definitely need adjusting) something like Tiny(27.5%)/Small(30%)/Medium(15%)/Large(12.5%)/Jumbo(9%)/Gigantic(4.5%)/Inferno(1.5%). --> At those percentages, there should be a decent chance to get more than 750 diamonds worth, but it should not be out of control.  Even the higher tier packs will balance out and exceed the safer price of just buying the pack alone.   There is always some risk in the gambling process. Smile

For the 1500 I would put the numbers closer to this; Tiny(5%)/Small(15%)/Medium(35%)/Large(22.5%)/Jumbo(12.5%)/Gigantic(5%)/Inferno(5%).  Again the numbers probably need a little adjustment, but like the previous bracket allows for the possibility of good rewards, while averaging on the lower end of things.

I think this implementation would help the game, as a lot of people like to pay to play in more of a gambling fashion.  It somewhat adds to the fun of things!  I'm just speaking for myself, but I know the feature has worked well in many other games.

The idea seems good, but the numbers are way to imbalanced. 

For 750 diamonds you gain a pack of average value of 1840 diamonds, and for 1500 diamonds the average value of pack is 3117.5 diamonds.  You need to cut off lots of % from higher packs or you are just making a lottery from which you can win, on average, 2x more than you put into it.
I am a Nerd.  Angel
(10-03-2015, 05:29 AM)Brouwer Wrote:
(10-03-2015, 12:39 AM)AffinityX Wrote: For the 750 diamond random pack, I would suggest (totally randomly, numbers will almost definitely need adjusting) something like Tiny(27.5%)/Small(30%)/Medium(15%)/Large(12.5%)/Jumbo(9%)/Gigantic(4.5%)/Inferno(1.5%). --> At those percentages, there should be a decent chance to get more than 750 diamonds worth, but it should not be out of control.  Even the higher tier packs will balance out and exceed the safer price of just buying the pack alone.   There is always some risk in the gambling process. Smile

The idea seems good, but the numbers are way to imbalanced. 

For 750 diamonds you gain a pack of average value of 1840 diamonds, and for 1500 diamonds the average value of pack is 3117.5 diamonds.  You need to cut off lots of % from higher packs or you are just making a lottery from which you can win, on average, 2x more than you put into it.

I would agree that the numbers aren't quite there, I made them up as I wrote the post just to show a sliding scale of percentages.  The idea is mainly what I was suggesting, I would agree the numbers seem a bit high for the higher packs.  I was looking mostly at the % chance for a single pack instead of collectively balancing the tiers between payoff from investment.
I'd be tempted to suggest leaving the percentages around that but then making it so that the card choice was also random. Basically you then can't pick a boss for your cards which is a lot of the value for mid game. This would make it more useful for newer players since you get way more and they will almost all be cards you need. It would also be useful for late game players that have already received boss cards from packs.

In that case I'd also change the low pack so that it doesn't pull anything bigger than large packs and reduce the price even further. If it was around 250 diamonds but averaged at least a small pack just with all random choices that would make that the choice for new players. Then the high pack would include the larger packs and be the choice for late game players that just want to boost their cards and don't care which cards they get.
(10-03-2015, 10:56 AM)Aaron Storm Wrote: I'd be tempted to suggest leaving the percentages around that but then making it so that the card choice was also random. Basically you then can't pick a boss for your cards which is a lot of the value for mid game. This would make it more useful for newer players since you get way more and they will almost all be cards you need. It would also be useful for late game players that have already received boss cards from packs.

In that case I'd also change the low pack so that it doesn't pull anything bigger than large packs and reduce the price even further. If it was around 250 diamonds but averaged at least a small pack just with all random choices that would make that the choice for new players. Then the high pack would include the larger packs and be the choice for late game players that just want to boost their cards and don't care which cards they get.

I like the idea of adding tiers to rewards as well. Does make sense to target it a bit closer to the diamond value of the pack. However, I don't know about making the card choice random, that would involve a lot more work than merely a random reward of any pack. A large reason for my suggestion was the ease of implementation.
(10-16-2015, 04:32 AM)AffinityX Wrote:
(10-03-2015, 10:56 AM)Aaron Storm Wrote: I'd be tempted to suggest leaving the percentages around that but then making it so that the card choice was also random. Basically you then can't pick a boss for your cards which is a lot of the value for mid game. This would make it more useful for newer players since you get way more and they will almost all be cards you need. It would also be useful for late game players that have already received boss cards from packs.

I like the idea of adding tiers to rewards as well. Does make sense to target it a bit closer to the diamond value of the pack.  However, I don't know about making the card choice random, that would involve a lot more work than merely a random reward of any pack.   A large reason for my suggestion was the ease of implementation.

It's already implemented in the second and third choice of cards you get from each pack, you only get to pick the first one. The majority of work to make the first choice random would be to just delete the code to pick and then copy the random code.

The only reason I'd suggest it is that it would let you drop the price of the random packs further since being able to pick a boss card has at least some value. Probably only around 25% though since you would still have a random chance of pulling a boss card.