Idle Online Universe RPG

Full Version: Autofish options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I got my boat recently, and I feel like I've wasted a lot of diamonds for a mediocre upgrade that sounded good. There was no communication ingame that boat autofishing was ALL fish of that rarity, and was one of the people that assumed it would mean at least ONE of that rarity and risk the fish, so I wouldn't have to watch the screen. Please, make it an option to risk it with a lower amount of fish at that minimum catch level- a few people in the various rooms I've been to are agreeing with me that this feels like a ripoff to them because we all assumed that it would risk the catch, or COULD. Instead we get a luck based option that is so useless you'll either have to set it WAY too low to do any good or end up manual fishing anyways. Please, let us do risky autofishing so that boats don't feel like a waste of our diamonds.
I really like Auto Fishing the way it is.
I was actually just about to make a new suggestion regarding this but since you have this one open, I'll post it here.

I think a better option is to have a minimum average level. Keep the current implementation, but provide this as an alternative option. So you can toggle between the two.

Pros and Cons of each...

Minimum base rarity:
  • Pros: guaranteed to never catch low rarity fish, decent increase in likelihood of catching higher rarity fish.
  • Cons: odds of catching highest rarity fish doesn't increase by much, pools containing several high-rarity fish are ignored if any lower rarity fish are present, much much slower rate of catching fish as the set rarity increases.
Minimum average rarity:
  • Pros: greater likelihood of catching higher/highest rarity fish, much faster rate of catching fish (with more eligible pools to catch from).
  • Cons: chance to catch low-rarity fish, lower odds of catching fish above the desired threshold (as set by minimum base rarity) -- this just means if you set min-rarity to 8, you'd have a higher chance of catching rarity 8+ fish using the base rarity option vs using the average rarity option.
Minimum average rarity provides much greater flexibility in the types of pools people will fish from. Depending on the player's settings, it would help insure that if any low-rarity fish are present, a really high-rarity fish must also be there to balance it. This should make it more likely that higher-rarity fish are caught than the current implementation (which doesn't care at all about there being fish above the min-threshold). The current implementation makes it very unlikely for me to catch the highest rarity fish I can (so much so that my Taxidermist level for that fish is several levels lower than the fish that's just 1 rarity below it).

P.S. Please allow me to use the Catch button even if I have auto-fishing set. If I'm watching the game while auto-fishing and I see I pool I want to catch from, I shouldn't have to disable auto-fishing to do it.
Or you can add a min amount of fishes of a set min rarity. Another simple solution.
I considered that, but since pools can have 3 or 4 fish in them, it wouldn't really be that much of a solution. Also, once again, it does nothing to increase the odds of actually seeing higher rarity fish. In my suggestion, if you see any fish lower than your minimum average you will have to see at least one fish higher than your minimum average to make that pool eligible to catch from. And really low rarity fish could never be caught (depending on your settings) because they will bring the average down too low regardless of what the other fish rarities are.
As an example, let's say your top available rarity is 10. Set your minimum average rarity to 8. Which of these pools are eligible to catch?

- 7, 8, 8 = no (average = 7.67)
- 7, 8, 9 = yes (average = 8)
- 6, 9, 9 = yes (average = 8)
- 4, 10, 10 = yes (average = 8)
- 4, 9, 10 = no (average = 7.67)
- 3, 10, 10, 10 = yes (average = 8.25)
- 2, 10, 10, 10 = yes (average = 8)
- 4, 4, 10, 10 = no (average = 7)
- 4, 8, 10, 10 = yes (average = 8)
- 6, 6, 10, 10 = yes (average = 8)
- 6, 8, 8, 10 = yes (average = 8)
- 7, 7, 7, 10 = no (average = 7.75)

Basically, you'll only see crappy (or less than ideal) fish if the other fish are amazing. If you set your minimum average correctly, you should (almost) always see at least 2 fish above that average, and if there are any fish below it, they can't be too far below it unless the ones above it are amazing.
(07-14-2016, 01:49 PM)Brouwer Wrote: [ -> ]Or you can add a min amount of fishes of a set min rarity. Another simple solution.

That was my original thought as well.

(07-14-2016, 12:55 PM)Segan Wrote: [ -> ]I think a better option is to have a minimum average level. 

But the elegance of this solution intrigues me. It would be nice to have a little more control, but the way the odds shake out when you set an average, it's not really a big deal to lose that bit of control. Still can't really decide which I like better, but I'd say I'm inclined to choose the first suggestion because I'm a bit of a control freak. I don't think variable pool sizes is really a big deal. If I want to wait until I see 4 of a certain fish, it's just going to take longer for me to catch anything (or the "min number of the selected level or higher" could be capped at 3).

At the end of the day though, it kind of shakes out in the wash anyway.

(07-14-2016, 12:55 PM)Segan Wrote: [ -> ]P.S. Please allow me to use the Catch button even if I have auto-fishing set. If I'm watching the game while auto-fishing and I see I pool I want to catch from, I shouldn't have to disable auto-fishing to do it.

Yes. Please yes. I could forget about any changes to the auto-fishing system if I could just have this one thing >.>
(07-14-2016, 09:17 PM)scottishrob13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-14-2016, 12:55 PM)Segan Wrote: [ -> ]P.S. Please allow me to use the Catch button even if I have auto-fishing set. If I'm watching the game while auto-fishing and I see I pool I want to catch from, I shouldn't have to disable auto-fishing to do it.

Yes. Please yes. I could forget about any changes to the auto-fishing system if I could just have this one thing >.>

+1 this too
So far I have only ever set my auto fishing to Rarity 10. As of this moment I have never noticed it catch any fish less than Rarity 10. So it sounds like to me if we were to change it to fish based on averages, I would then have a possibility of catching fish lower Rarity than what I have it set at. I am completely against that idea and would prefer Auto Fishing to stay the way it seems like it is to me.
What you really want is the average of the squares of the the fish levels.

What we really, really want is a fishing API with more functions exposed for higher tier boats.
FadedSentry, you obviously missed the part where I said have this option in addition to the current setting, so that you can choose which one you'd use. I absolutely do not want to see it replace the current setting.
Zathras, having a customization API would be amazing, but I was considering this from the dev's perspective: they prefer simplicity in the UI. So a solution they might actually implement would have to be simple.
Pages: 1 2