Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Dev Diary 9 :: 2015 :: July
July, here we come...

It has been a couple weeks with quite a few improvements. I have a few more, and a major public release coming up very soon...but i'm anticipating major features coming up thereafter.
Should have a patch ready in the next day or so. I'd like to include a couple extras as this patch isn't huge.

I'm also still really hoping for public this week but there's so much going on, I think it may end up being delayed a week.
I think we're gearing for public Kongregate release first thing next week.

There will be a final pre-public patch for then, cleaning things up for the better, and including a few nice treats to go with it.
HEADS UP!

Leaders who have been offline for 14 days or more, starting after the next patch, will auto transfer leadership over to the next top member.
A 2k 'stone padding' will be activated after the next patch when outside of guilds.

This means, when a player joins a guild, instead of turning ALL stone into upgrade-only, it will allow up to 2000 stone to be used for building investments.

This should assist newbies or players who leave guilds or get booted as to not lose all their stone, and with the 24 hour delayed investment period, should really not cause major concern for abuse.
IOU is going public!

..Yes it's already public, but published public! I self published IOU and even though it has done phenomenal considering, that was all actually done by word of mouth and from (mostly) community-made postings of the game on the internet. Now with a little help from some publishing partners, I think we can expect another significant rise of players.

Most of the updates recently were not overly exciting, but were done in hopes of preparing everything for a much larger player-base, and making things less distracting to existing players.

The game is being released sometime tomorrow

To celebrate this communities growth and what we've built so far, between a kick-ass community, a rad Wiki, and a successful game surrounding it, i've put together a scheduled list of codes to go along with a great bonus event after today's patch. Enjoy tomorrows hefty Kongo Public code as well! It's a lot more than a rando.

Please note these codes are released at midnight each day, Eastern Standard Time, if not otherwise specified:

-July 14th Code--
85B10338A7FC4117A80DA24B582060
--KONGO Public Code - Jul 14th @ 11am--
70157B2992E7DAED3677CE8E9FE40F
--July 15th Code--
724FDC76FA1A4F25F62E0EB5261CA3
--July 16th Code--
7389BB0190D0211A991F47BB19A777
--July 17th Code--
8670712A252123C40D2ADBA6A11D84
--July 18th Code--
7809F0B035D97F69902E7972C2B2E6
--July 19th Code--
79587AFDA6E89AEC274A3657558A27
--July 20th Code--
8046E7D85C81A9E69FEE1CEA4A087C
--July 21st Code--
81EF7311B482724A9B7B0BC0DD85C6
--July 22nd July Event Code--
945F58E35D9AD45BF7F3AE5CFD08F1
--July 23rd Code--
84A09596C7E18E50B58EB7E0C6CCB4
--July 24th Code--
83B9F23FBD362DA0E3F4E70B878C16
--July 25th Code--
7761EED4BCEEC564A00115C4D21334
--July 26th Code--
7692EFB79421734881B53E1E1B18B6
--July 27th Code--
75E674D3F0FAF985047D4C3F13ED0D
--July 28th Code--
7486134B65D0F10FE33D30DD76442E
A pretty big update ahead in terms of clean-ups.

One of the bigger things to prepare for, is the replacement of the CLIX system. We'll be using MANA (Abilities) and STAMINA (Click attacks) instead of clix, and won't actually activate on a character until level 100.

Many will disagree with this, but the game is growing significant confusion with clix as an 'Energy system'...

Even though you can't 'buy' energy, and it's sole purpose is to divert auto-clickers from surpassing others unfairly, it isn't being judged that way because of the way it is represented at the beginning of the game. I'm rectifying this by disabling the system entire until level 100, and switching up the name scheme.

I suspect by the time most players reach level 100, they'll have a stronger grasp on the game and understand how everything works by then.

-----

Positive news...i'll be working out the Monthly event very soon. I have several ideas on the theme of the event, but I think i'll be going with:

IOU-CE : Idle Online Universe - Clean Energy

After seeing a lot of players discussing how idle games are not environmental friendly by requiring players to leave their computers running...I think we should have an event based on the subject of energy production. I'll be looking to design and set up a completely separate mini-idle game for this...which will be quite a bit different than the previous events, but more rewarding and likely more fun.

I have a week to get this rolling, or i'll have an event code released without an event ! Will be keeping busy.
What an overwhelming/exciting week....

I'll be starting development again probably tomorrow on new features, while continuing to maintain support and fixes. I can't describe exactly what is coming in the next patch yet as I still have an insane amount of messages and posts to go through before assessing priorities.

Anyways, we hit over 3000 unique players online today...insane!

Please respect that with 3000 people online, there's more than likely 5000+ daily active users...with even more players just starting out, so it's difficult to ensure fast response time. Also please try to keep private messages (Kongregate, Facebook, Chatzy, etc) for emergency account issues only in the meantime, as it can take quite a bit of time trekking through them and can hinder my response time and development capabilities for upcoming patches.

Other than that, great feedback on the event and everything else. I hope most people are enjoying the new patch - I hope to bring something even more unique to next month's event Smile
Two Serious Freaking Thumbs Up to the community for the recent competition submissions!

It hasn't even been a day and i've already laughed til tears formed, and set into awe in some of the incredible work that has been posted. Amazing/funny ideas guys, I really appreciate the submissions and really hope you are having as much fun making this stuff as I am going through it Smile

Some days development and trying to keep up with all the support for the game can be a little daunting due to the overwhelming sudden growth, but I know i'll be looking forward to each day of development looking at the submissions Smile Makes a huge difference having an active and friendly community to be working for.

So, thank you!
Hey folks, it's time for a little update on what is going on...

The event will be coming to an end on Friday, and it's very doubtful that a patch will be included. I have been making a lot of small changes on the client/server since the last patch to rectify some issues. Unfortunately the re-instancing system had some hiccups but I think it will be cleaner for the next run.

As for what else is in the works is a lot less exciting for you, but pretty exciting for me:

FIRST
We are migrating the global chatzy room slowly but surely to an IRC-based chat, to be able to provide a little bit more accessibility and features for the communications within the community.

SECOND
I'm working heavily on a zendesk-based knowledge center and ticket system. What this will result in is the entire removal of forum support on Bugs on both iourpg and Kongregate, and will become a ticket-system, so I can absolutely ensure that I can give each person and each report a response (If the support request isn't totally ridiculous).

This will allow the forums to be directly based on feedback, suggestions, and just general chit chat.

Some people may feel that reports should be public, however i'll be setting up the knowledge center on up-to-date issues on repeat submissions. Also - I can't keep duplicate knowledge-base topics on every forum that this game may end up being hosted on.

This will save me up to hours every day, and be able to focus more on code.

ALSO, i'm aiming towards an in-game ticket system linked as well, so you won't be required to go far for help  Exclamation

After this stuff gets executed, i'll be looking at my huge TO-DO along with a lot of the suggestions over the last month... Smile