Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dev Diary 8 :: 2015 :: June
Welcome to a new month! The guild month...

As i'm sure most people are aware, guilds are in the process of major updates. However, as usually something comes up where there may be minor delays.

The game is finally up on the Kongregate Beta...something i've been working towards for 5-6 months now, so my attention is slightly split between resolving issues for the game on there and maintaining updates.

Just a heads up there may be a few day delay on the next patch.
Holy! What a crazy past few days. Reception has been so far beyond my expectations...we're now ranging between 500 and 700 users on at any given time, and the feedback has been insane lately.

This next patch will include a few fixes, and won't be huge yet. I'm likely only going to have time to finish up on one guild building (The Guild Hall), and maybe a couple of Individual-based guild upgrades, however the introduction to these systems will give a nice template to begin shooting out other (mostly) simple buildings for the next patch, as the preparations for this are taking most of the time.

This last week has really given a stronger perspective on many things that need to be improved, especially the Party System and Chat. It looks like i'll be needing to prepare for a very sleepless summer to get even half the goals I have for this game going Smile
The guild update is delayed a day (For June 11th) to include a couple important additions.
After going through hours of testing after finalizing some features for the upcoming patch, I ran into quite a few fixes to several disconnection issues, rested time, nrg, and more. While I don't doubt there to be a couple issues come up with the new features, i'm looking forward to more stability overall.

On another note, Analog will be helping in the forum/chatzy to help save me time by responding if i'm unable to respond, or happen to miss posts. Development has been getting more intense, while the support has grown 10-fold. I'd like to keep the pace with development to ensure I deliver updates routinely, so my time browsing forum and chatzy are gaining delays a little beyond the norm this month. As further stability improves, and guild features near completion, i'll be able to be far more active in communications with everyone.
Every time I release a patch I generally don't begin working on the next patch until I can verify stability. This last update was incredibly smooth (very few problems) considering its size and the new systems implemented, so I have started development on the next patch.

I went ahead and spent today working on a new guild building, which will actually include a new guild-wide bonus system, which is separate to how personal upgrades work since Guild Instances are not connected to the player's whatsoever. This is a great back-end system to have prepared for upcoming guild updates as it will expand what can be done with the buildings.

I'm aiming for 2-3 guild buildings for the next patch, but have also come to realize that guild additions are going to be a long-term thing and I won't be rushing all the buildings this month, but begin releasing them in updates throughout the summer. This will allow priorities to bounce around a bit to clean up and improve older systems as well, along with preparing for events with a little less rushing.
I believe we are looking at a new patch on the 19th. Give or take a couple days.
I think we can expect an event with this patch. I have everything planned out and will begin development on it tomorrow, hopefully in time for the patch release sometime this weekend, which will include two new guild buildings Smile
After this patch, there's going to be a bit of a stretch as i'll be focusing on implementing a completely new party/instance system before public release on Kongregate (and other portals). This should help a lot with disconnection problems, along with allowing parties to remain a party even if someone disconnects or leaves.

This is not a small change and will require a good amount of time to implement, so please expect that the patch (after this upcoming patch) will not be a guild / feature type update.
I've started completely rewriting the party system and everything connected to instance changes. This is not one of the more fun parts of development due to how difficult it is to change something huge like this without failing to think of every possible issue that could occur.

For the next 2-3 days, I apologize for any delays on support issues. I'm hoping to get this new system tested by this weekend and be able to move forward with the more exciting stuff.
Quick heads up - I'm finding out that some players are abusing codes and the generosity of being able to join guilds, donate stone and leave.

I wouldn't enjoy it, but If I catch any guilds pushing this too far, i'll be wiping your guilds clean and I REALLY don't want to have to do this. Please play nice until a new solution is met.