Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speed Upgrade Costs
Hey IOU's

I've had some complaints and questions about the Attack Speed (and other) upgrade costs...and i'd like to go into detail about the reasoning and hope that players can trust my instinct more about the balancing issues, how you may not be taking every conflict into account as I have attempted in the design, and why they need to be adjusted slowly to avoid extreme, and sometimes non-repairable issues.

With each Speedboost your attacks per second increases (thus criticals per minute, double attacks per minute, dps in general), but also the bandwidth increase (Amount of data & packets sent per second; even combining packets with intervals still increases data and required processing on both ends). 

Going from 1 attack per 2 seconds plus pet attacks and click attacks, to 4 attacks per second with a 250ms delay, the bandwidth becomes exponential more significant with each speed boost, hence the high cost.

I'm not overly concerned about the bandwidth overhead on the servers, as much as I am that people from around the world play, and some with pretty slow connections. The game will also be released on Mobile which needs to be taken into account - less processing power, usually much slower connections if on Satellite.

So in the meantime while things are fleshed out over the weeks & months of balancing:

If you currently feel an upgrade is not worth it, please invest in something else or save until your gold income rate is high enough that it doesn't feel like such a large cost
Ray, is there a hard cap to the number of attacks per second?
Zieg asked Chatzy to choose between work and play iourpg. Chatzy chose: play iourpg
With the way event bosses were, I wouldn't think so. But to get there seems highly unlikely.
Rather, I guess a better question, would be.
What is the formula for speed? (in seconds)
[damage per hit]/speed = [x] / (1-((SpdUpgrd+ASCSpd)*(1+SpdBoost/10​0))/100) ?

I'm 99% sure this is wrong

Quick update for Posterity based off of chat

The correct formula is:

Time per hit = 2*(1-(SpeedUpgrade+ASCSpeed)/100)/(1+SpeedBoost/100)
Zieg asked Chatzy to choose between work and play iourpg. Chatzy chose: play iourpg
(04-14-2015, 05:09 PM)zieg777 Wrote: Rather, I guess a better question, would be.
What is the formula for speed? (in seconds)
[damage per hit]/speed = [x] /  (1-((SpdUpgrd+ASCSpd)*(1+SpdBoost/100))/100) ?

I'm 99% sure this is wrong

dps=(1+SpdUpgrd/100+ASCSpd/100+SpdBoost/100)/2*[x]
or
dps=(1+SpdUpgrd/100+ASCSpd/100)*(1+SpdBoost/100)/2*[x]
Then what would be your attack time in seconds using that formula?
(04-15-2015, 02:06 AM)zieg777 Wrote: Then what would be your attack time in seconds using that formula?

I use =2*(1-(Speed Upgrade+Ascension Speed Upgrade)/100) to calculate my attack speed in my spreadsheet right now (thanks to people in the chat for the formula!). This is without the active Speed Boost ability, because that's only for a short amount of time and I haven't factored in the active skill set.

My Auto Speed Upgrade skill is at Lv 23, giving it +21,5%. My Ascension Speed Upgrade is currently at 0%.

2 * (1 - 21,5 / 100) = 1,57 seconds. The initial value of 2 is in place because the base time is 2 seconds.

If I were to obtain Ascension Speed Upgrade 1 (and I will right away, once I ascend again!):

2 * (1 - (21,5 + 5) / 100) = 1,47 seconds. That's a huge DPS increase. Heart